Rumble in the Basement

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by CptSensible, Nov 12, 2017.

1. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

So, I'm a guitarist, but I was looking to get a cheapish bass rig to play with my son in the basement. He's 13 and plays the drums. We try to bash out some surf tunes, but not super loud.

Was thinking of getting a Fender Rumble bass amp. My question is will a 40 watt amp work for my needs? Again, not gigging out, but jamming in the basement with a young teenage drummer. Or do I need to kick it up to the 100 watt amp just to accomplish that much without having to dime the volume and rattle the cabinet?

Thanks!

2. joshinthecity

joshinthecity Member

I'd get the 100.
    BTW: I have one, and for the money (and weight) it's an excellent bass combo.
    You won't be disappointed..
    j.

GGinMP likes this.
  3. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

To really be heard with drums,I'd get the 200!! :boxer Lightweight, has a defeatable horn that can help dial out any 'muddiness' that can come with a 15er....and can be had for a steal on the used market.//

4. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

200 watts for the basement? We're not talking about playing Budokan here.

I was really hoping that I could manage with 40 watts for that, um, venue.

5. Gimmodog

Gimmodog Member

I would go to the nearest dealer and buy whatever used they have and ask if you could bring it back if not loud enough I would think any would be loud enough for a basement even with a hard drummer, just put the amp next to the drums

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. Michael Hunter

Michael Hunter Supporting Member

Well, keep in mind that it won't be like having a 200 watt Hiwatt in your basement. With solid state or class D bass amps, 150-200 watts is about the minimum you need to get bass up to the level of acoustic drums without crapping out.

Bob Pollock and Teh RedWizard like this.
  7. cram

cram Member

Any time bass is under powered it is underwhelming.
    For your exact scenario, I have used the 15' 200W variety.
    Now, if you also had a PA to add to the bass sound with a line out... that'd work with a lower wattage.

8. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

The Rumble 200 actually puts out about 140W by itself....to get the full 200, you need to add an extension cabinet. You are going to need more watts than you think to get bass heard once other instruments enter the picture,esp. being that we're not talking about tubes here.//

9. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

Shoosh. Maybe I'll just play my guitar instead of going down this bass route. It's looking too darn expensive!

10. eldorado2001

eldorado2001 Member

Good grief! I only ever used an Ampeg BA108 25watt/1x8 combo (used ones sell for around $50) for band practice with acoustic drums and 2 electric guitars and harmonica. Everybody in the room played louder than necessary and everyone could hear my bass. 100 or 200 watt amps would be overkill for home jamming IMHO.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    NoiseNinja likes this.
  11. buddyboy69

buddyboy69 Member

Bigger for bass always sounds better, even at low volumes. Smaller bass combos can get farty.

musicyclist likes this.
  12. somedude

somedude Member

If the place has a good return/exchange policy, start with the 40w and work your way up.

Most bass players (myself included) will suggest more power.

13. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

The Rumble 100 is great, I have to use pedaks to attenuate the volume for apartment posting, but in my previous band where the drummer used a cheap practice kit for practices we had no trouble keeping up while using a 25w frontman bass amp so if there's no professional high end kit you should be okay with the 40.

14. royd

royd Member

When you play guitar with your son, what wattage does your amp have?

You’ll need 10X’s that. So if you play a 30 watt guitar amp to keep up, you’ll want 300. If you play a 20 watt one, 200... etc. And at least the same speaker area. So, if you’re guitar amp is 112, then 112 is the minimum. Also remember that the wattage they tell you is the maximum the amp will produce, often at 4 ohms, which often requires a second speaker cab. If that is the case, divide the wattage by about half to see what you’ll actually be running with the combo. So, the combo advertised at 200 watts will likely be producing 100 or a little more with only the internal speaker running.

Unless your son is a very finessed player, I’d be very surprised if 100 was enough and certainly not 40.

If you go with a lower wattage, get the combo up off the floor and pointed at your heads. You might lose a little bass coupling with th floor, but you’ll hear it better.

15. ballynally

ballynally Member

For practise with drums 100w 8 Ohm, ss.for gigging at least 200w 8 Ohm, 350 4 Ohm.
    The trouble is going from practise to gig environment in deciding what to buy.
    If you use a PA for practise yiur ok using even a 40w bass amp linked to the PA.cheap enough combo will do,100 dollars/euro.if u get a 100w 8 Ohm combo you will likely drown on stage with a drummer.plus you probably will go out and buy a bigger rig.that's wasted money,
    My advice to students who really aim to gig is to get a decent ss amp head 200w 8 Ohm, 350w 4 Ohm (with extended speaker) then find a 2nd hand bass cab that's not too heavy like a 2x10" ported or 1x 15" non ported.
    Ampeg and Mark bass make great amp heads around 300 dollars. Anything cheaper will compromise too much on quality sound and power imo..

16. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

As most suggested, I'd advice you to get a 100W amp too, 40W might be slightly under powered to be heard properly with drums.

Keep in mind that we are not talking guitars.

The low frequencies of a bass tend to require more wattage to reach similar volume.

When that is said the 200 or more watts that some people suggested, in my opinion, is just right out ridiculous for your needs.

I realize that solid state and class D amps are not putting out quite the same power as similar rated tube amps, and that it apparently is a quite common conception that to be heard as a bassist you at very minimum are required to be able to blow out the eardrums of any people in the proximity of a 10 mile radius from where your bass amp is placed, but try to read my post in this thread to put that conception a bit into perspective: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25304068/

As for cheap bass amps I recommend you to look into the Kustom KXB100 solid state bass combo that comes with a 15" speaker unit build in and the possibility of connecting an extension cab (comes in a 200W version as well: Kustom KXB200).

It doesn't come much cheaper and in my opinion sounds great (that is at least if you happen to like a fairly aggressive bass tone).

Here's a demo of it (yeah, it's in Rusian, but it got English subtitles):

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  17. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

Leaning towards a Fender Rumble 100. (Assuming I return the Vox AC-10 I just purchased!)

59burst likes this.
  18. GGinMP

GGinMP Supporting Member

The Rumble 200's as big and about the same weight at the 500. I think the 100 is a great choice. You could make due with the 40, but why just make due?

19. CptSensible

CptSensible Member

Ordered the Rumble 100. And for good measure, ordered a Squier Jaguar Short Scale Bass. Gonna have it wrapped and waiting for me under the tree come Christmas Day.

GGinMP likes this.