• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Run Flashback X4 buffered or TB?

gtrmaestro

I have a Flashback X4 on the way to me.

I'll be running a Lovepedal Tchula into a Zendrive then Flashback into the input of my amp.

Since Tchula & Zendrive are both true bypass I'm thinking I should run the Flashback buffered but I don't know if it really matters with only a few pedals....

I might add a wah later which is buffered and would be 1st in chain.

-Empire

Personally would run it in buffered bypass mode, at least until you get the buffered wah. That way you avoid the apparent increase in brightness of your dry signal when turning the pedal on due to the pedal's low impedance output when on and lack of other buffers in your chain. If that doesn't make sense, watch a youtube video on guitar pedal buffers.

stinkfoot

Since Tchula & Zendrive are both true bypass I'm thinking I should run the Flashback buffered but I don't know if it really matters with only a few pedals....
It's not as much the number of pedals as it is the total cable length - of which the pedalboard->amp cable is the biggest part. So I definitely agree that running the X4 in buffered mode would produce a more consistent tone as you turn the delay on and off.

I might add a wah later which is buffered and would be 1st in chain.
Having a buffered pedal first would have helped with the changes in brightness when you turn the delay on/off, but only with none of the overdrives running. Turn one of them on, and that pedal is now responsible for driving the signal on towards the amp. And the two you have there are the type that reacts quite differently to driving a long cable, compared to a short patch cable to a buffered/active pedal. So (short version) even if you get a buffered wah first in line, you'd still benefit from running the X4 in buffered mode.

philamag87

Gold Supporting Member
I've had mine open a bunch of times for mods. The T10 screws do strip easily. I replaced mine with phillips.
What size phillips screws did you use? I want to switch out the T10 screws as well.

To OP: When I first got my Flashback x4 I ran it in true bypass. Then I switched to buffered. Now I'm back to true bypass. But I think I'm going back to buffered because I run it in the effects loop with 30ft of cable. I also like the trails. Great pedal in either mode!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom