Running 2 amps live

kustombob

How many use 2 amps live or even practice, Running stereo or in line. When I played ' I was always the only guitar player' classic rock and hair metal' the hair is gone now:( I found using 2 amps on stage was so much fuller even though I was miked though the PA. I ran a line 6 pod into 2 Marshall 900 bypassing the preamp stages and this gave me a very full sound. Yes I never got the killer crunch of a good marshall since line 6 pod sounds were fair but the not great' but given our song list was so different it was worth it. Then I used a stereo chorus into the 900's using their preamps' But I never was impressed with the 900 sound. It just never had that Marshall crunch or chug. Now I use the DSL H 100w and it has that sound. For me using 2 amps just has a better sound than one. Maybe its just me:rolleyes:

Rumble5

I've begun using two amps in my little studio- a '76 JMP and a '66 Pro Reverb. I used to play one or the other but recently got a signal splitter so now I can play both simultaneously. Huge, incredible sound.

I play just the Pro and switch the JMP to standby if I want to play more rootsy or cleaner stuff, maybe with some trem. When I switch to heavier or more punk-oriented stuff I flip the standby off on the JMP. (I should probably get a splitter with a footswitch so I can essentially use the JMP as the best distortion pedal ever.)

Both amps are set past the point of breakup (9 on the volume for the Pro and the volumes jumped on the JMP with both set past 5). The Pro has an attenuator and the JMP has a PPIMV and I adjust each so they are at equal volumes. Then I use my guitar volume to get my cleans and crunch.

The Pro runs through two Weber Legacies (Greenback-types) and the JMP runs through two Hellatone 60Ls (V30s with bass cones).

When both are engaged the Pro provides the beef, with a nice smooth thick overdrive that spreads around the room due to the open back-cab, while the JMP provides the closed-back punchy directional bite that is heavily saturated and cuts through really well.

I could easily do with just one or the other, but they're both there so why not?

SZRo6kX.jpg

woof*

Been gigging 30 years with a Superbass/4x12 and 66 Super Reverb in tandem.
There have been gigs where space/time constraints have forced me to use just one of them.
They compliment each other well, sound rich in harmonics, easy to get get sustain and usable feedback at lowers volumes. Im so used to it now that using just one sounds flat.
Gerald Weber wrote about using multiple amps and harmonics years ago. Lots of guys use double amps for that reason..its not about volume.

flantrax

Gold Supporting Member
I switched to 2 smaller amps over 1 larger one a few years ago and couldn't be happier...I run either a Tweed Deluxe &/or a Victoria Ivy League/Morgan PR12(dual mono)...

Sounds amazing...another benefit is you have a back up in case one goes down

kustombob

It just give your playing a thicker sound for me plus I get much more sustain or controlled feedback if I need it. It makes for me easier to play period.

yeatzee

I switched to 2 smaller amps over 1 larger one a few years ago and couldn't be happier...I run either a Tweed Deluxe &/or a Victoria Ivy League/Morgan PR12(dual mono)...

Sounds amazing...another benefit is you have a back up in case one goes down
This, only my version is the budget friendly one! I picked up an Ac10 and a Mod'd blues Jr and couldn't be happier with how they sound together. Interestingly enough I don't use both together at home since I don't have a big enough closet to fit both cranked in, but live I use them through the stereo outs in my neunaber slate as either stereo or wet/dry. Get a lot of compliments on it!

Last week's setup:
31386305233_44eaaf8dd2_b.jpg

Silent Sound

I also run a stereo pair for most live gigs. I have two sets, a SFDR and Ampeg RRII, and a custom made (slightly based on a 5E3) and a Bugera V22. I generally prefer the Fender/Ampeg combo, but it sure is fun to set up a custom one-of-a-kind amp (in both looks and circuitry) right next to one of the cheapest tube amps you can find. My favorite part of that combo is the looks on other guitarist's faces! They can't seem to figure out why I'd run such an expensive amp next to such a cheap one. But they sound great together! And that's why I do it!

Though generally I don't do the stereo pair to get fuller or more complex sounds, but rather for the stereo effects and built in backup plan. I like the ping pong delay and tremolo effects and wide chorus and phaser sounds. It helps to fill out the sound of a trio better, in my opinion. It's not always practical in medium sized venues when you have an opening or middle slot, and the soundguy/gal doesn't want to mic up both of your amps. But in situations where that's not an issue, or when you don't need to mic either amp, it can sure be a lot of fun! And if it turns out they don't want to mic both of your amps, I usually just mic one straight on like normal, and then angle the other 90 degrees, just off to the side, so that it still picks up a bit of the second amp. It doesn't sound as good, but it still sounds better than using just one amp.

flantrax

Gold Supporting Member
This, only my version is the budget friendly one! I picked up an Ac10 and a Mod'd blues Jr and couldn't be happier with how they sound together. Interestingly enough I don't use both together at home since I don't have a big enough closet to fit both cranked in, but live I use them through the stereo outs in my neunaber slate as either stereo or wet/dry. Get a lot of compliments on it!

Last week's setup:
31386305233_44eaaf8dd2_b.jpg

Nice

I use a Framptone switcher so I can use either or both. I run a Splawn Supersport and a Friedman PT20 into a 2/12 cab that is re-wired dual mono.
At home i use 2 cabs for more spread but I keep the footprint small for gigs. Even with 1 cab the tones and harmonics are far superior to a single amp. A quick tip; get a DB meter to balance your amps. It makes your sound man hate you less.

jota

Yep, I run two amps at home almost always and whenever I can I do it live too.
I don't use stereo effects. I just like the sound of two different amps combined.
It's always a Fender DRRi with a 5E3 or a 65Amps London Pro.

PremiumPlus

It's really cool with the Keely 30MS. Or any "stereo" stompbox. You just get a fat, full enveloping sound that's addictive.

Lance

Yep. Two Rock > Chandler SDEII > LXP-5 > right side back to the Two Rock with a K120. Left side currently going out to power section of Mark III in 15W class A mode pushing a D130F hempcone. Sounds absolutely amazing!

The cool thing about the Chandler is that they really aren't L & R. They are 180 degrees out of phase. I can get the most huge chorus sound I've ever heard. Seriously, Alex Lifeson would be jealous. What's weird is that when you shut it off, and have it bypassed, and then hit a chord & turn it on. You can hear it bloom, as the first few milliseconds of sound hit the air.

zenas

Been hooking multi amps together since I was a kid. First was a Princeton 6g2 or Reverb (really don't remember) hooked to a Silvertone or something like that cheap pos solid state amp.
Being a pre intern kid I hooked them up in series. DON'T DO THAT !
Now being better educated I use a Voodoo Lamps Amp Switcher. lol

ryandfl

Silver Supporting Member
I've begun using two amps in my little studio- a '76 JMP and a '66 Pro Reverb. I used to play one or the other but recently got a signal splitter so now I can play both simultaneously. Huge, incredible sound.

I play just the Pro and switch the JMP to standby if I want to play more rootsy or cleaner stuff, maybe with some trem. When I switch to heavier or more punk-oriented stuff I flip the standby off on the JMP. (I should probably get a splitter with a footswitch so I can essentially use the JMP as the best distortion pedal ever.)

Both amps are set past the point of breakup (9 on the volume for the Pro and the volumes jumped on the JMP with both set past 5). The Pro has an attenuator and the JMP has a PPIMV and I adjust each so they are at equal volumes. Then I use my guitar volume to get my cleans and crunch.

The Pro runs through two Weber Legacies (Greenback-types) and the JMP runs through two Hellatone 60Ls (V30s with bass cones).

When both are engaged the Pro provides the beef, with a nice smooth thick overdrive that spreads around the room due to the open back-cab, while the JMP provides the closed-back punchy directional bite that is heavily saturated and cuts through really well.

I could easily do with just one or the other, but they're both there so why not?

SZRo6kX.jpg

Very cool setup. I used to do something similar. I wish I could be that loud now.

Fulldrive-1

When I played in punk bands I used a 50 Watt Marshall head driving 4x12, and a 100 Watt marshall head driving 4x12. They were wide open. It was cool.

the recluse

I run a Mesa 2x12 Tremoverb Combo and Mesa Stiletto Deuce Head through a 2x12 combo. They compliment each other really well and we have a rehearsal space that lets me crank them up for best results.

I run into both of them via a stereo delay pedal. Ground loop issues were introduced when I put a channel switch to control both amps in the mix so I added a transformer box between the output of the pedal and one of them amps and it's been golden ever since.

64 Tele

I use a Blues Jr (NOS-Tweed) and a 68 Custom Princeton Reverb via an A/B/Y pedal.
The Blues Jr. is a little thinner sounding and the PR a little fuller sounding. Together, it's
a really nice sounding combination.
I've also picked up a 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb and run both channels via an A/B/Y pedal as
an alternative to the BJ and PR combination. Both channels on the DR is a REALLY nice sound, too.

Chadley

Silver Supporting Member
I found "my sound" by combining a BF Fender style amp with a Vox AC style amp in stereo. Morgan PR12 and DAG 15. The two sounds combined really fill each other out nicely. The mids from the DAG make up for whatever the PR12 is missing. I simply run stereo from my pedal board. Sounds amazing!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom