Running 2 GE-7 EQ's together?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by viper jazz, Apr 3, 2008.

1. viper jazz

viper jazz Member

So I recently got a GE-7 and installed the Sniper mod w/ great results--never knew I would like an EQ so much. Then I got another one w/ a Monte Allum mod (from Clutch21286, thanks bud!) because I wanted to A/B them.

They both sound great (and very similar) individually, but here's the weird thing--they sound AWESOME together! Same EQ settings for each of them, but both on at the same time really sounds incredible!

[​IMG]

I'm more than willing to use them in this format if need be, but it seems a little silly and doubles the chances of having to adjust the EQ settings if they get knocked around. I'm wondering if one is acting like a booster on the other? If so, then I'll probably just get a simple booster. Thoughts?

2. viper jazz

viper jazz Member

3. benabloom

benabloom Member

Put one of them in the loop of a TIM:)

No seriously you would probably experience a similar effect if you boosted the frequencies that you are boosting 2x as much on one unit, and cut 2x as much as well....wouldnt that do the same thing?

4. mockoman

mockoman Member

I remember seeing an older pic of David Gilmour's pedal board.
    He had 3 boss eq pedals in a row...1 was set as a bass boost,2nd one was set as a mid boost, and the 3rd was set as a treble boost.

I thought that was a cool idea. Run them seperate or together,whatever you need.

And,of course,if it sounds good,it IS good!

5. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I would think that stacking the EQs in that manner would be cumulative. I am not sure of the overall tonality in that setup, knowing that a little EQ goes a long way.

David Gilmour may have "stacked" them but were any two or more of them on at any given time? As a person versed in EQ, I would tend to doubt it unless you really wanted to double or triple the effect of the pedal.

Just a thought.

6. viper jazz

viper jazz Member

Yeah, the EQ settings are somewhat extreme in that pic--playing into a Pro Jr., so an EQ on the amp is not that extensive. I've been using all kinds of different settings, it just so happens that that was what the first was set to when I decided to chain them together, so I followed suit w/ the 2nd.

Didn't really think that the 2nd EQ would be "doubling" the 1st, but I guess that makes sense now that I think about it. It doesn't SOUND extreme, however, just nice and present. Huh...

7. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It definitely is cumulative, but looking closely at your picture I notice two things...

1) Strictly speaking, at least in the photo they are NOT set identical. The first one is cutting the lowest band almost to the -12db level, while the second GE-7 is cutting less. You must have a pretty bassy amp or amp setting...

2) With a few exceptions that are not set high, you seem to be cutting instead of boosting, so with the lowest band for istance, you apparently want more bass cut there than could be gotten with -12db. Which is cool, if you are liking the sound...oh yeah, one more thing,

3) I bought a GE-7, and just because of the self-generated noise issue, installed a Brian Wampler mod (pretty sure these mods are similar but not exactly the same), but first had bougth yet another used GE-7. I tried them stock, side by side, and they seemed the exact same to me. I did the Wampler mod, and liked it (self-noise gone) but when I A/B'ed, I noticed that the mod also had changed the bands somewhat. I think they either shift a little frequency, most likely, or for some other reason the bands are different (maybe also changing the "Q")...in any case, they were different. So it might be that two different mod fizes do this, so even if you had the faders set exactly the same, might be that they were affecting slightly different ranges of frequencies?

8. 4styx

4styx Member

What's this Sniper Mod?A diy?And where do you get it?