Running a Arion chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bluesbreaker59, Jul 11, 2006.

1. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Okay so I ponied up the $30, for this little beast. I love the clean, Leslie tone, with a little echo from my Dan Echo, but I HATE the tone of my Fulldrive getting switched in, sounds horrid.

I'm trying to go after that thick Warren Haynes dirty Leslie sound while playing chords.

Frankly my Fulldrive just sounds like ass, as soon as the Arion is plugged in, my other pedals seem to get along with it fine, but not the Fulldrive. I know the Arion is not true-bypass, but neither is my Dan Echo, my Hot cake, or my Vox wah, so what gives?

Basically it sounds very boomy, as soon as the FD2 is turned on. If I take the Arion out of the chain the boomy-ness goes away.

Anything? Bueller?

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

So you are saying the Arion is affecting the FD-2's tone even in bypass?? I dont have this problem. Even though I am running the chorus before the FD-2. I have the SCH-1

3. Pedro58

Pedro58 Supporting Member

Try changing the order? Chorus into OD?

4. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

Or get a Micro Loooper that will allow you to take it in and out of your chain (yeah, I realize the irony of spending an additional $40, but if you like the sound of the SCH1, it's worth it).

5. bluesbreaker59

Does it make more sense to have chorus before OD's? I didn't know because I've never used a chorus before. BTW, mine is the new version of the Arion Chorus, just the boring SCH-Z, its got a nice Leslie tone, for what I'm gonna do with it. I've been comparing choruses for about a year now, and this one is the best at the slow, grinding Leslie sound, IMHO.

Probably seems like I'm a cheap skate with my Dan Echo and off the shelf Vox wah, Boss tuner, and Arion Chorus, but I've had tons of higher dollar stuff, and this setup actually is what works best for me and my "lo-fi" roots rock and bluesy-rock leanings. Hard to believe I owned a Klon, in the past. The only thing I like better for echo is Ep-3's, but I hate the servicing, so I looked around until I found something else that sucks some tone, and has that glassy, smooth echo sound.

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Yes. Thanks Erksin for the advice!! :D

7. erksin

erksin Member

You're welcome?

I don't remember saying that, but my brain has let me down on more than one occasion...

FWIW - I don't care for Chorus before ODs, but Delay before Chorus has become my new favorite.

And don't fell bad about using the SCZ-1 - it's what Greg V. used on his record for the Leslie parts - KILLER tones...

8. carltonh

carltonh Member

Out of curiosity, I'm assuming that the Arion Chorus pedals, new and old, are analog? (I've got the SCH-Z) I certainly think they sound analog. If so, do they also use the BBD bucket brigade chips? (and where did the name "bucket brigade" come from?
    Oddly enough, I think my cheap Ibanez soundtank chorus is just as good with slightly more available settings ... except that it doesn't do stereo. Do most people who use the Arion pedals use them for stereo or mono?

9. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

LOL You didnt say that. :D You said to run chorus after OD but I guess I never listen. :crazy:NUTS Sorry for the misquote. I usually take whichever chorus it is and try it both ways and keep it whichever way it ends up. :BEER

10. erksin

erksin Member

Whew - you scared me for a minute there! I'm usually best at remembering gear-related stuff (ie: the fun stuff I really care about - beer, etc)...

11. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

When I got mine and first plugged into it, all of the knobs were at the minimum and it sounded AWESOME. Totally thickened my tone but with barely a trace of modulation. Check it out and let me know what ya think.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I think that was my first pedal, if I can find it at home, that would be awesome, but I think that was about 10 years ago. I know I had a Dan-Echo for a while and at some point a Cool Cat Chorus possibly... Then I got the Ghia and used only a clean booster for a long time, but I did get a Leslie cabinet, possibly inspired by the chorus pedals... Between the Leslie, Deluxe Memory Man and Deluxe Moon Phaser, I am OK for some chorusing sounds, but distinctly remember enjoying this inexpensive pedal very much.

13. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Yeah, I had one of the early ones, as well as the flanger they made back then, and both had a pretty cool midrange woodiness. Think that was in 82 or 83 if memory serves me. I have the $29 SCH-Z now that works well before an overdrive for the dirty leslie sound. I think to blend it better, the overdrive has to be after the chorus. I usually notice that the last effect is the strongest coming through the amp. Wah after OD is more wah like, but wah before OD seems more subtle. The SCH-Z is a cool little pedal tho. I usually set it with the speed/rate all the way over (8, 9, 10), depth like on three, and tone on 7 or 8 depending on the bass I'm trying to get or not get. Good buy for the paultry investment.

14. cslagle7

cslagle7 Member

The SCH-Z before a timmy is where its at for the budget dirty leslie. it adds just the right amount of grit to make it believable.

15. entraind

entraind Member

+1 I'm loving my sch-z through a slightly breaking up amp. As a bonus, the price makes me feel good about spending too much $ on my other pedals. :AOK

16. bluesbreaker59

I'm still fine tuning mine, but when I moved it before the overdrives, my dirty sound now isn't screwed up. I am a wah before OD guy though, I like my wah to be subtle.

17. Oddos

Oddos Member

I love my Sch-1s on a lot of different settings. The Sch-z, however, sits on the shelf. There really is no comparison. and the Sch-1 can take a lot higher levels too.

18. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Now I'm going to have to get a Timmy! :crazyguy :Devil