running a combo through the speaker of another combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Laxrappa11, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

say im trying to run my express 5:50 through the speaker of a blues jr. as well as the express speaker, i would unplug the speaker cable from the 8 ohm jack of the express, and plug it into the 4 ohm jack. i would then unplug the speaker cable from the 8 ohm jack of the blues jr, and plug it into the remaining 4 ohm jack of the express. is this correct?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  2. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

As I understand it, it varies from amp to amp whether or not you can use multiple speaker connections at once. What you're proposing doesn't sound safe to me, but I'm not engineer. I know on my Dr. Z, I've been told it's a big no-no.

GAD

3. emperor_black

emperor_black Member

as long as the speaker impedance of both the speakers are same, you should be able to mix and match with no issue. Even higher impedance is ok. Say the mesa has a 8 ohm speaker and the BJ has a 16 ohm speaker. You're ok. But lower, you will burn the transformer of the amp.

Edit: Or do you mean running both the speakers are the same time?

4. Laxrappa11

Laxrappa11 Member

sorry i edited my post, yes i mean going into both speakers at the same time.

5. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Yes, you are doing it correctly. At least that's how my Mesa F-50 works. If I use just the F-50 speaker I plug it into the 8 ohm input.

If I connect my JCM800 1x12 combo's speaker to the F-50 I connect it to the 4 ohm input and connect the F-50's speaker into the other 4 ohm input. (I hope I'm explaining correctly).

The tone is Monsterous!