Running a Pedal Into Itself...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Alabamarama, May 21, 2020.

1. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

Forgive me if this is a dumb question...

Will I break a pedal if I run it back into itself?

I was looking at my SA Nemesis and I never thought about the fact it has two inputs/outputs. Then I remembered seeing Dan on TPS running a Hall of Fame reverb back into itself via the second input.

Is this particular to this pedal or possible with any pedal?

I don't know why I would want to do this, just to see what word happen I suppose. Also, didn't want to just do it and find out it's a terrible (and expensive) mistake.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

2. Riffa

Riffa Member

This is interesting.

Gig Young and Alabamarama like this.
  3. nnnnnn

nnnnnn Member

If a pedal has two inputs and two outputs and processes the two sides completely independently then I don't see how it could hurt anything to run the output from one side into the input of the other, and it's fairly easy to imagine what that would sound like.

If the pedal blends the two input signals together I'm not sure what would happen. My uneducated guess is that it wouldn't hurt the pedal but probably wouldn't create a usable sound.

peter_heijnen and Alabamarama like this.
  4. tobereleased

tobereleased Member

My 2 year old daughter plugged the input of my pedalboard into one of the outputs off my looper that’s last in chain, which set up an interesting oscillation at the resonant frequency of my moogerfooger low pass filter.

5. InkblotNebula

InkblotNebula Member

I don't think its possible to damage a pedal this way, but you could blow a speaker. A feedback loop can get very loud so you should have a volume pedal or a pedal with a volume control so you can turn down the signal going to the amp.

Flatscan, spentron and Alabamarama like this.
  6. captaincoconut

captaincoconut Member

You're basically creating a feedback loop similiar to what a delay pedal does to create the repeats. You won't damage your pedal, but probably your hearing as it can get out of control pretty quickly.

Flatscan and Alabamarama like this.
  7. Vhailor

Vhailor Supporting Member

I believe that it is possible to loop the Series One back into themselves: unless I misremember, they are designed to be able to do so - well, at least the fuzz/distortion/overdrive pedals are so designed. Not sure about the others.

The Nemesis documentation and / or videos should provide an answer.

8. 3waytie4last

3waytie4last Unfluencer Gold Supporting Member

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  9. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

Thanks everyone for all the great replies!

The Nemesis is so tweakible I think some interesting sounds could be found.

Examples, running the helix set into itself (double helix?), Reversing a reversed delay (normal delay?), Sweeping modulation into itself (I have no clue?). Not to mention using the app for countless other combinations.

Should be a good weekend.

johnsav and Fantastic cook like this.
  10. marshianmello

marshianmello Member

Any time I imagine anything plugged into itself I imagine someone plugging a power strip into itself and cackling.

11. moemoe6434

moemoe6434 Member

Would be a neat option to double stack ODs and other pedals.

12. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

I use an Ohnoho ChkChk Boom. ItpIt a pedal or pedals in a feedback loop. It is a INCREDIBLY fun concept. Highly recommend something similar. He doesn't build them anymore but I'm sure others do.

Some pedals are a little boring... Some are endless fun. I use a Mid-fi Clari(not) often and it's amazing. Crazy interaction with the volume knob.

Here's a demo:

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. chankgeez

chankgeez Member

auto-(not)correct :eek:

14. magnus02

magnus02 Supporting Member

Hahaha... If my name was Clark I'd now have to have Doug build me one with that as a custom name...

chankgeez likes this.
  15. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

I’ve built fuzzes that have a built in feedback loop (switchable). It may blow your mind, but won’t hurt the pedal. Beware though that oscillating pedals can get very load very quickly so you might want to lower your amp volume before you unleash the sonic mayhem ...

Flatscan and Alabamarama like this.
  16. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

This fuzz>fuzz concept sounds awesome! Now I have to see if I can find something like that. Was looking for another fuzz for my board.

17. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

Strymon Deco has a way to do this with a TRS cable and the expression jack to double from 1 or 2 repeats up to 2 or 4.

Not Orange, Flatscan and Alabamarama like this.
  18. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

I love how good the Deco sounds, was thinking it would be the perfect delay for a small board. Love that it's getting more attention lately.

Flatscan and Buck Woodson like this.
  19. Buck Woodson

Buck Woodson Supporting Member

It's the green beret of pedals, a force multiplier.

Not Orange and drifterphase like this.
  20. Alabamarama

Alabamarama Member

Just wanted to post a small update on my Nemesis experimentation.

Before I get into my findings, thanks to all the posters that warned me of insane feedback loops.

I kept the settings on the Nemesis pretty low to keep things from getting out of hand. Namely the feedback and intensity knobs. The modulation knob can get intense too with certain functions too.

Now onto my quick observations.

Reverse delay into itself created an interesting flanger type effect. At least that is the best way I can describe what I was hearing.

The pitch algorythm into itself ended up making a pretty sweet pitch shifting effect. Something like a rainbow Machine without all the quirkiness.

Sweep was probably my favorite. It was essentially the same thing but the repeats came in faster. Kind of hard to describe this one. It was a lot of fun playing simple arpeggios.

The simple modes like diffuse and slap back were pretty cool as well. Not very outlandish, but noticably different from their base versions.

Didn't notice much of a change in digital and analog settings. Didn't spend too much time on them though.

Overall, I would highly recommend trying this out for yourself if you have a Nemesis sitting around.