running a stereo rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ezcomes, Feb 23, 2012.

1. ezcomes

ezcomes Member

When it comes to running "stereo", here is what I'd like to do (and hopefully you can tell me if it'll work)
    i want to run two amps...one dedicated clean...the other will be the workhorse, clean and dirty via channel switching...phasing issues can be easily resolved via a rewired speaker cable, and the workhorse amp would also act as the 'wet' amp...all the effects (minus wah and an OD pedal which would run through both amps) would run though it alone...
    i 'think' it will work, giving kind of a clean chime while the other amp is dirty may sound pretty cool...but with the channel switchin on the second amp, would i potentially run into further phasing issues?

i would also think that since both amps have grounded plugs, there should be little hum introduced...i would think...

i had been thinking about just a Y-cable...should i be looking at a AB/Y box instead?

2. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

That is not stereo, is a two amp rig. You may want to run your time based effects through the clean amp. You will need something to choose between the clean amp and the dirty one. I use a Voodoo Labs amp switcher, it has isolated inputs to do away with ground loops.