Running a two head rig- Head switcher or stereo cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Steve73, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Hi guys,

I have a regular gigging rig but for variety, I am putting together a two head rig. For dirt, I have a '74 JMP 50 watter and will be getting a Dual Showman Reverb for clean. Does anyone have experience with putting together a two head rig? Would you go with a single 4x12 cab with a head switcher such as a Radial or would you wire the cab stereo and have dedicated speakers for each head? Any ideas, experience, comments with either method would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. lousyatit

lousyatit Supporting Member

I prefer two heads, each with it's own respective cab and I switch between them.

3. yoshua

yoshua Member

I've got a similar arrangement. you can't do much better than a couple dedicated 212s and a lehle to switch/blend.

4. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I've got a JMJ-30 and a Red Iron T-Rex going though my 4x12 mono with Scumbacks in em. I run the amps to a Custom Audio Electronic Head Switcher, which not only takes the load of the amp, but cuts the input of the signal to the head not being used so theirs no chance of any damage. Works great!

5. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Thanks for the input guys, I will check out that CAE switcher, EB. Anyone else?

6. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Just so ya know the CAE 2 amp switcher isn't on the CAE website but it is the same thing as the 4 amp switcher they have posted. The 2 amp version you have to ask for. Cost around $600 if I remember right.