Running at the wrong impedence, bad for the speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Thinline_slim, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Thinline_slim

Thinline_slim Supporting Member

I know there is the potential to harm a tube amp running at a mismatched impedance but is there the possibility of it also harming the speaker?

I have an Orange AD30, which has 8ohm, 8ohm, 16ohm taps. Unfortunately I wasn't paying close enough attention to the taps and I had one 16ohm speaker plugged into an 8ohm tap and the other 16ohm speaker plugged into the 16ohm amp.

The amp seems fine, other than a new set of power tubes since the others got noticeably weak but now the Weber AlNico Blue Dog seems really bright and harsh. I don't think it's the tubes since I tried the amp with other speakers and they sound normal, but something about the Blue Dog seems off.

Any ideas?

2. GT100

GT100 Member

What happens in that case is that one speaker got 2/3 of the amps power instead to 1/2. If you were craking it and the speakers didn't have a decent safety margin (wattage rating) it could be a problem.

3. RSRD

RSRD Member

Ive done this a few times on my tremoverb. It happens! so far no damage done.

4. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I believe there would be more danger lurking if you had a 4 ohm speaker plugged into a 16 ohm tap. I'm sure your amp is fine.