running cubase WHILE running other programs: doable?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by joemail75, Mar 1, 2006.

1. joemail75

joemail75 Member

im curious if anyone has had experience with tracking in cubase AND operating another program at the same time. here's the deal: i wanna try and record a sermon into cubase for cd burning, but need to do it on the same computer that runs the powerpoint for the service. will running a small program like powerpoint be enough to screw with a session thats tracking simply two tracks? Im not doing anything within cubase except recording real-time during the preaching. will a 2.6 ghtz cpu handle both tasks? any experience welcome.

-joe

2. neve1073

neve1073 Member

there's only one way to find out. give it shot--preferably before the event.

it's obviously not ideal. aren't there more than two computers in your flock?

good luck

3. MK50H

MK50H Member

I've only used Cubase a little, but in general I think it's likely to give you problems. It seems to me (from experience) that running other programs with a sequencer does give problems, however it seems to be random.

You could try a dry run, and it may work. Only to mess up on the real session.

If it was me I'd be trying to find another way, maybe record direct to a Minidisc/DAT or something similar. You could bounce it into Cubase later.

Good luck.

I'd be interested to know what you decided to do (and of course if it worked)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

why use something as intensive as cubase?

if you're just tracking the message, why not Audacity?

the trick is to use programs that arent resource hogs, and only use what you need.

i do it all the time w/ Open Song, and they work beautifully together on my Dell 600M laptop.

and both are free. ;)

5. Mondoslug

Mondoslug Supporting Member

I don't think you'll have much of a problem...especially with a small track count. When I'm screwing around I run Nuendo lots of times while I forget I have other programs open, even Internet Explorer and it works.
    Now PT, that's another story. Nuendo's basically the same engine as Cubase.

6. planetal

planetal Member

Try it.. Powerpoint is a big time memory pig, but isn't generally i/o intensive (if all you are doing is slowly playing back basic slides).. Cubase likes memory A LOT and is very i/o intense while tracking...Are you recording just 1 mono analog track? As stated above there are lots of small recording programs, especially if it is voice audio only. Audacity is a nice free tool.

Its all about memory and disk i/o speed. Your processor is certainly fast enough.

Al

7. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I use Audacity all the time to record 10+ minutes practices @ 24/96k using a 2.4 ghz notebook with a few apps running in the background. Never any problems either. It's a great option if you find Cubase is too much of a resource hog.

It's a good idea to disable any scheduled utilities and automatic updates and the screen saver/ power saving options. Also disable all sounds schemes.