1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Running EMG's at 18v?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by somedude, Aug 5, 2004.

1. somedude

somedude Member

I'm been running a set of EMG's at 9v, but I'm wiring them up for 18v.

My question is, with two batteries wired in series, will the second battery drain the first when the power is disconnected (ie, the plugs out of the jack)?

2. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

If the batteries are in series, they will both be isolated when the plug is out.

Make sure the the wires from the battery clips which connect together are only connected to each other, and the connection is well insulated.

BTW, I've never tried wiring them for 18V. Does it make a significant difference?

3. somedude

somedude Member

Yup.

The best was I can describe it is with an anology.

At 9v, the sound like your playing with a TS-9 turned on (particularily the compression).

At 18v, it's like you switched the TS-9 off.

The improvement in headroom made for a pretty dramatic change in my opinion. When I first installed them, I was thinking these are awesome high gain metal pickups, but I couldn't think of what else they'd be good for.

After switching to 18v, the dynamics improved, way better responce to pick attack, better decay, ect. I figure this is due to the increased headroom allowing more fluctuation before they peak out and compress.

Before they sounded like overwound metal pups, now they sound much more like a super clean and clear passive. The EQing is still very flat, but much of the sterility is gone.

The only drawback to 18v is articulation. At 18v they are VERY articulate. They broadcast playing errors and hide nothing. At 9v the compression kinda covered some of this up, but at 18v.....

For what it costs to stick another battery in there, I'd suggest trying this to anyone.

4. dorfmeister

dorfmeister Member

I am wondering how the emg 18v mod is done?

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

interesting; i've been installing 18v emg bass systems for years, with definite advantages in headroom and clarity, but i've been skeptical of the advantage for their guitar pickups. i will have to try it next time.

(to get 18 volts, just wire in a second battery clip in series with the first one, i.e., red +9v leads from all the pickups to red +9v lead of the first battery clip, black lead of first battery clip to red lead of second battery clip, black lead of second battery clip to ring terminal of output jack.)