Running older modeling units thru IR & IR in amps FX loop?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Al Varez, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

Have any of you experimented with running your older Digitech, Vox, ZOOM modeling units through the IR section of an Amplifire/Pangea/AX8? I've read that cab modeling is mainly where the weakness lies in older units. Have you tried putting an IR unit in the loop of a guitar amp? I know that's not the ideal FRFR setup, just wondering how that sounds.

jawgee likes this.
  2. jawgee

jawgee Member

I think folks were doing this with the older POD gear through IR apps on the computer. I never really saw a consensus of how the older stuff sounds with brand new shiny IRs compared to the current gen of modelers, though.

3. Maltese Fan

Maltese Fan Member

The Must Be Beta software for the GSP 1101 lets you load IR's. I use that for direct recording via the XLR outs.
    For just jamming I run it through a power amp and cab with no IR's.

4. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

I always used IRs when going into the computer with my POD XT back in the day it was worth the effort at the time but the exercise your proposing seems pretty pointless to me.

1. If you use a guitar amp with a guitar cab speaker as described in the OP it will sound WORSE; I don't care how good the IR processing is. amp model->cab model->cab is a recipe for ear mud. I tried it back in the day.

2. Even if you went FRFR it probably requires a more expensive unit than the one that would be doing the amp modeling to provide the IR loader. (IOTW, why do you want me to drag my POD out and run it into my AxeFx2 again?).

jawgee likes this.