• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Running on Empty Lapsteel Solos

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
I'm wide open to critiques and suggestions on playing and recording (other than: "please stop", or "just give it up, already").
I had too much coffee in me when I was doing these this morning, the vibrato got way out of control. :D

Last edited:

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
@BadHat
No criticism here, other to say "well done."
I play 8 string lap steel and Mr. Lindley's solos are a great way to learn the positions / intervals on
a lap steel.
Your Blocking technique was good, too.

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
Thanks, Steve! I had to try and take this up because finger guitar makes my hand hurt, anymore; it sure is a wide learning curve. It's hard to get those intervals right.

derekd

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds good to me. Love those Lindley slide solos.

What's your signal chain?

ELmiguel

Nice playing. I just picked up an Airline lap steel from 1960 that I'm restringing today. My other lap is an old Vega from the 40's.
Here's a live video from 1978. Lindley does a longer solo. At the end he's trading solos with Jackson Brown who's playing slide.

Rimbaud

Tarnished Silver
Nice Badhat..I love Lindleys slide work and everything else..Jackson was lucky to have him..
You have a nice mellow sound working there..thoroughly enjoyed it.
@ELmiguel ..that concert was amazing..the trade off between JB and DL still gives me chills.

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
Sounds good to me. Love those Lindley slide solos.

What's your signal chain?
Thanks, Derek! That was:
Lap King Rodeo -> Trombetta Bone Machine GTx -> Tungsten Cortez -> Fryette Power Station2, using the balanced out from the PS2 into Scarlett 2i4 -> Garageband

Nice playing. I just picked up an Airline lap steel from 1960 that I'm restringing today. My other lap is an old Vega from the 40's.
Here's a live video from 1978. Lindley does a longer solo. At the end he's trading solos with Jackson Brown who's playing slide.
Thanks Miguel, I'll check that one out!

nice! excellent intonation. I think you're also ready to buy a Dobro soon . . .
Thank you Fred! I have dobros, they're too hard to play. :D I have too much pick and bar noise when I try to record them. Need to experiment some with mic placement, I guess.

Nice Badhat..I love Lindleys slide work and everything else..Jackson was lucky to have him..
You have a nice mellow sound working there..thoroughly enjoyed it.
@ELmiguel ..that concert was amazing..the trade off between JB and DL still gives me chills.
Thanks, Rimbaud, DL is definitely the benchmark for lapsteel in rock.

BadHat

Gold Supporting Member
^^ Junior Brown does that a lot, it's hard as hell to do without losing your bar position.

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, Steve! I had to try and take this up because finger guitar makes my hand hurt, anymore; it sure is a wide learning curve. It's hard to get those intervals right.
It sure is.
But Ive been playing pedal steel for about 6 years. I should be better than I am.
Lap and pedal steels are very expressive in the way they can be played.
Like anything it takes time to learn the intervals.
You are heading in the right direction !

Steve Hotra

Silver Supporting Member
Check this video out. He has a nice trick (kind of like Sonny Landreth) where he pulls the sting sideways with his little finger to raise the pitch like a pedal steel guitar.
This is a major find for me!
It's at about 1:55

Steve Cunningham is a great slide player, too.
Thanks for sharing the clip.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom