Running out of power.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Lefty, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Lefty

Lefty Member

I'm in the process of redoing my board, and I've run out of power outputs on my PP2! There is only 8 and I need 10! I've thought about running a Y cable out of my Strobostomp's power out jack to the other two that need power, but I'm wondering if one 9vlt output can handle powering 3 pedals? The mA draw on the Strobostomp is 85mA (I think) and the others are a wah, and a switcher (two LEDs). I've tried calling Voodoo Labs, but they must be out.

2. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

I just checked the spec on the PP2...it's a little unclear:

"...6 9vdc @ 100mA
    2 9vdc @ 200mA..."

I'm reading that as each output is 100 mA or 200mA not a total...so as long as your three on one don't exceed that you should be fine, but best check with VL...

3. Shakermaker

Shakermaker Member

I think it's the L6 outputs that are 200mA

4. Madsman

Madsman Member

It's a bad time to call for tech support, since they're probably all setting up for NAMM. But still, if you keep trying, sooner or later you'll probably get someone.

5. devbro

devbro Member

I had the same problem. I went down to the local electronics store and bought some bare end 2.1mm DC power jacks (jack on one end, plus 2 feet of wire). I cut them to length then solder them together to make "Y" cables. The jacks are $.75 each.

I try to use the Y cable on effects that I don't often use together like chorus and phaser. This way, I don't run the risk of not having enough power.

6. erksin

erksin Member

That is a GREAT idea! Never thought of doing that - thanks!!!

7. playon

playon Supporting Member

For typical 9v effects you don't need to worry about daisy-chaining lots of them, I believe it's an amperage issue not a voltage issue... most pedals draw very little amps and you can safely hook up a bunch of them.

8. Lefty

Lefty Member

I finally got ahold of them, they said I should be fine. They also mentioned that outputs 1-4 can be switched to be 12Vlts? Anyone know this for a fact?

9. Lefty

Lefty Member

Yup it's true, just checked...1-4 12.63 volts DC. Very COOL!

10. gururyan

gururyan Member

So I could safely run my AD900 on 12v. from it as long as I used the polarity switching cord?

11. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Those are the specs for the PP2+ in normal mode (DIP switch "off"). Outputs 1-4 and 7-8 has 100mA max at 9vDC, while outputs 5-6 has 200mA max at 9vDC (to power the Boss Twin pedals). The older model (Pedal Power 2, without the "+") has 100mA on all eight outputs in normal mode.

On both versions, if you set the DIP switch on outputs 5-6 to the "on" position, you get 200mA unregulated power, which will vary from about 15 volts down to 10-11 or so depending on the load. This mode is for the Line 6 modeller pedals.

A parallel Y-cable (or "daisy chain" cable, if you like) will let you hook up more than one pedal to the same output. You can daisy chain as many as you like, as long as the total current draw of that chain stays below 100mA (or 200mA if you're using outputs 5 or 6 on a PP2+). But it doesn't matter if the pedals are on or bypassed - they use the same amount of power in either case. So you can't combine pedals that draw more than the 100mA the output can handle, thinking you'll only use them one at a time - as soon as you connect them, they are in use and drawing power. Some pedals do use slightly more in active mode, due to the LED being lit, but those differences are usually very slight. The only pedal I know of that uses significantly more when it's being used, as opposed to just sitting there, is the Boss TU-2. But 99% of all guitar pedals will use the same amount of current regardless of if they are turned on or off.

Yes, it should work just fine. The AD-900 uses 28mA at 12vDC, so one of the first four outputs on a PP2 (regular or plus model) set to "ACA" mode should power it nicely. As long as you remember to use a reverse polarity cable, that is - the AD900 has a center positive jack (instead of center negative, which is the normal polarity).

/Andreas

12. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Just a slight clarification, when setting the DIP to 12vdc, can you set individual outputs 1, 2, 3, and 4 each for itself, or is it one switch and all four are set to 12v (but if you only had one unit that took 12v it would waste the three outputs)?

Is there a 240 Vac version? For Europ power?

13. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

There are individual DIP switches for each of the outputs, yes. And 240v versions are available (but they tend to be rather expensive over here).

/Andreas