Running patch and power cables? Help needed.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Melodic Dreamer, May 23, 2015.

1. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Over the past year I have been wanting to finish my pedalboard. It seems that everything has gotten in the way of my goal until now. I am finally ready to do this. I have talked to jnepo1 about making me some custom length patch and power cables. The only thing I need to do is take the measurements for the cables.

I want to make the board as quiet as possible. Is there any right and wrong ways of running patch and power cables? I've read where some people mention running them parallel, or crossing at a 90º angle. I've also read where this is load of crap, so I'm just curious is this matters. My board is going to be a little tight after adding the trim. I've already painted it black and I'm cutting out the trim today. Here is a pic of the basic layout on the bare board.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131633513@N06/shares/t85H55

Any advice must appreciated.

2. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Ask Jnepo and do what he says. :D

3. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I have bugged that man enough. lol
    I thought I would just post here and find out before I go any further.

4. Gumbygreeneye

Gumbygreeneye Member

You don't need to run power cables at 90 degrees to patch cables if the power cables are running DC.

ClassicLP likes this.
  5. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Yes, there is something to power and patch cables having some interference...however, it is not a huge issue since many builders place the power input near the signal input. Really, if you are isolating power for each unit, you are in good shape. Digital pedals tend to be the worst offenders. The best advice is to test each pedal as you add it to the board. You won't have tear things up later. Btw, I run ten pedals without worrying about wiring paths. No noise. Cheers.

6. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Well the only digital pedals I have are right underneath the pedal power units. So that's a plus maybe.
    Do you guys have any suggestions on running the cables? Did you by chance look at my layout?

7. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I agree with this. The advice to run at 90° is good for AC cables crossing balanced lines, but doesn't apply to DC.

8. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Yes, it is fine.