Running pedals on 12v...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Shredcow, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Hey guys,
    Thought to share something I "discovered".

A friend of mine, who is the techie sort of person, mentioned to me that certain pedals on my board could be run on 12v and I might like it. So I tried... and YEAP. There's a difference alright... and a good one.

I'll list down what I've tried and I'm interested to know what any of you have tried too.

Boss CE-2
    On 12v, the chorusing becomes noticeably more 3D, more vibrant. Its all clearer. More headroom I suppose. No increase in volume but the overall sound is bigger. Its very nice.
    Bad was the LFO ticking got a little louder. Its not bad but if for some reason I turned on my clean boost and had to play that loud, then the ticking comes thru. Not a biggie.
    I decided keep it on 12v.

BYOC Script Phaser
    I'm guessing the circuit inside is similar to the MXR Phase 90s... heh.
    The change is just higher headroom on the phasing. Lead distortion and that chewy-ness. The phasing also gets clearer on the higher notes but overall, it retains the Phase 90 character.
    Nothing bad so far...
    I'm keeping it on 12v.

Ibanez EM-5 Echomachine
    I posted my findings on the Echomachine thread... basically, higher headroom again... The delays are clearer and stronger. The clipping circuit doesn't clip as easily.
    Has a slight hum when on 12v.
    Decided to stick with 9v because the clipping circuit is what gives the Em-5 is unique character and sound.

For ALL of them... on 12v, the main signal that goes thru actually sounded better. Like, the tone is retained better? The highs are left intact, less compression and the thing just sounds bigger... more bass is let thru too. Less boxy-ness. Of course, if I'm playing live and loud, these differences are less obvious.

A funny thing, i'm using the PP2+ and when I switch to 12v, there seems to be some sort of "incompatibility" daisy chaining pedals. Like the EM-5 with the CE-2 or Phaser - would result in hum when either pedal is switched on. Strange.

Anyone else has been trying 12v on the any other pedals?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you risk damaging your pedals, so no.

3. scottywompas

scottywompas Member

Most production pedals aren't meant to be run at 12 volts. Just because they will run doesn't mean they won't fry eventually.

Scott

4. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Hey Walter,
    I've been running my Addrock NSOY's on 18 volts for 2 years now (with HL's OK of course). That pedal was made for up to 24v I think. Anyway, I love it at 18v vs 9v. It's louder, cleaner, and less compressed. I think it's perfect!

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

the key point! he built them to do that.

6. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

Right you are, of course!

7. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Well, the older Boss pedals that run on the ACA adapters will take 12v.

So at least I got 1 out of the 3 covered "officially" eh? :p

8. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

You're actually supposed to run it at 12.3, and NOT at 9, as 9 can I think cause damage.

9. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Hmmm... I'm using the PP2+, it has those dip switches for toggling the power output to that of the Boss ACA type.

But would that difference cause any real damage?

Found a little read up on the 12v/9v thingy... http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/bossadapt.htm