• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Running the Jam Man off a power supply

rockdoctor42

Hi all, quick question. Is it possible to run the Digitech Jam Man stereo looper off of any of the generally available isolated power supplies (ie voodoo labs pedal power 2 or t-rex fuel tank)? The specs say it needs 9v AC current but can it take DC current?

Tom Von Kramm

Platinum Supporting Member
Which JamMan do you have? The one with the vacuum-style switches or the one with the pad-style switches?

After the first year of production the vacuum-style JamMan Stereos were made to be able to accept either AC or DC. Look for the manufacture date on the bottom and we'll see which version it is.

rockdoctor42

The switches are the ones that you find on most MXR pedals. The only manufacture date I can find is June 11 but the model No says JML2. Would plugging DC current into a Jam Man made during the first year of production damage it?

Tom Von Kramm

The switches are the ones that you find on most MXR pedals. The only manufacture date I can find is June 11 but the model No says JML2. Would plugging DC current into a Jam Man made during the first year of production damage it?
Don't do it yet, let me find out on Monday if there is an easy way to tell which one you have.

Tom Von Kramm

I just found out this morning.

The conversion took place in August of 2012. According to the engineer, if you are unsure if it is the new version it won't hurt the unit to plug in a 9vDC PSU to check. It will either work or not.

stinkfoot

The JamMan Stereo uses <9w, which at 9vDC comes out to 1000mA max. That's far too much for most supplies (the PP2+ has 250mA max from two of its outputs, and 100mA max from the others).

Tom Von Kramm

The JamMan Stereo uses <9w, which at 9vDC comes out to 1000mA max. That's far too much for most supplies (the PP2+ has 250mA max from two of its outputs, and 100mA max from the others).
Ah yes, good catch. Make sure your DC PSU has a robust mA rating since it does draw some current. It's not quite 1000mA, but it's close.

chrisjnyc

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone know how to date a Jamman? Do they have a build date stamped on the pedal?

MartinPiana

Gold Supporting Member
When I was looking into this, I decided I'd be safest going with a PSU that had a courtesy AC input that I could plug directly into - and had just about settled on a Cioks. Then I bought a EHX 360 nano looper instead, which has more ordinary supply demands, is much smaller and covers most of my needs when I'm out of the house (in the house, I still use the Jamman sometimes but less and less) - including saving loops. Unlike the Ditto, the 360 will save 11 loops.

It is one thing I wish my Jamman Stereo would do is run off of DC (it was almost the deal breaker for me since I live off the grid), but I would not take a chance unless I was certain that it has the updated modification. I just might pursue this though.
After August 2012 at 1000mW dc?

In case anyone else still has the question about how to figures out what year/model you need for powering purposes (like I did today): if you look at the back panel of the pedal, it will either list "9VDC" or "9VAC."

Trending Topics