Running two amps at once

SPC91

So I’m wondering what would be the best way to run amps together. I’ve got a Victory RK50 going through a 2x12 cab and Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 combo amp. I’m wanting to try the traditional wet/dry setup but I also have tried both amps when having the gain up and they sound quite good together. I dig the sound of each amp on its own as well. How do you guys and gals run a two amp setup?

saleake

Silver Supporting Member
I have used a Radial Twin Cities with a Dr Z Maz 18 and a Dr Z Z-Lux when I was playing rock music. Now I’m in a country band where everyone is mic’d through the PA and I use it with a Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb and a Strymon Iridium as a back up amp.

gtrs

Silver Supporting Member
GigRig G3 or any of the MusicomLab switchers have worked for me in the past. I also used some of the Mini RJM boxes as well.

All worked great, especially for controlling amp functions. It's a wonderful thing and once you try it chances are you'll never go back to the tap dance again.

Bob Arbogast

Gold Supporting Member
Here's my rig for an outdoor gig tonight (sorry for the blurriness; bad lighting). I use a Source Audio Vertigo to split the signal and to create luscious harmonic tremolo between the two amps. I haven't had any hum issues with this.

FYI, the bottom amp is a 2x10 clone running at 375Vdc B+ with GA10-SC4 and Jupiter 10SC speakers. The top amp is a Tone Master Deluxe Reverb set at 12W with GA-SC64 speaker. (To my ears, this Tone Master sounds way louder than the W indicator!)

June2022_Live_Rig.jpg

Dirty Strings

I’m running a Laney GH100L on the left side of room and a Mesa tremoverb on the right side of the room both amps set clean.

My chorus pedal has two outs which both go to the ins on my boss RE-202 space echo delay. From there one 202 output goes to the Mesa while the other goes to a tremolo pedal and then the Laney (so only the Laney has trem from the pedal). Kicking on the chorus sounds amazing when using both outputs. Adding trem into the mix adds to the fun.

The I normally use pedals for fuzz and drive but Mesa is two channels. While playing clean I can switch Mesa to channel two for drive which blends well with the clean Laney. It really sounds great when Mesa is on channel two and the clean Laney has the trem on. Of course the Mesa does have onboard trem if I ever want trem in both amps (it is a tremoverb) but I don’t have a footswitch to control that so I usually keep it off

Den

Gold Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
I ran a Carr Rambler and Aiken Tomcat together for quite a few years. I controlled them through a Radial Switchbone to toggle between the two or run both together. The Switchbone has some cool features including a built-in boost with some great options as well. This rig was hum free and sounded fantastic.

I missed that combination and recently had a RedPlate Magica built for me by Keith Estringer that sounds amazing and is even more flexible. Couldn't be happier!

Alabamarama

Radial ABY, gain into an AC15 and modulation into an AC30. Sounds great, kind of a PITA to set up with the size of my pedalboard. Wasn't worth it in the end for me, ha. I just run everything out front now.

David M.

Silver Supporting Member
So I’m wondering what would be the best way to run amps together. I’ve got a Victory RK50 going through a 2x12 cab and Mesa Boogie Fillmore 50 combo amp. I’m wanting to try the traditional wet/dry setup but I also have tried both amps when having the gain up and they sound quite good together. I dig the sound of each amp on its own as well. How do you guys and gals run a two amp setup?

I only run multiple amps at home. Stereo AC15 and Saturn Supro and in the Middle a Tweed Blues Jr.

The AC 15 and Saturn Amps are about 20 Feet apart and the Stereo Imaging I get from the Amp Placement in my Basement makes me a little teary-eyed with glee.

Even at low volumes the tones are immersive. On my Board Stereo Amps are the Monument, DIG, Blue Sky, and Astra at the end to modulate the hell of the the delays and reverbs.

I also play at Church, but sadly that setup is Mono, with a more compact Board.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Ejay

Stereo effects out to the returns of the 2 amps.
Use a preamp, preamp of one of the amps..or a modeler.

abby_normal

I use one of these. Has a ground lift, phase switch, and a good buffer. Not cheap but good piece of kit.

https://www.fulltone.com/products/true-path-aby-st

First time I ever played two amps at once was in the late 90's when I bought a reissue Super Reverb and hooked it up with a Peavey Classic 30 and split the signal with a big box Deluxe Memory Man. Oh man, the Classic 30 never sounded as good as when matched with the SR.

Today I use stereo pedals at home with a Fender DRRI and a Bassbreaker 15 and it's a lot of fun, although I would never try to gig with two amps.

n4p226r

Silver Supporting Member
both amps always same time - level p-split
both amps same time or one amp individually - lehle dual

essentially. pick the lehle that does what you need it to do and call it a day

Trending Topics

Top Bottom