1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Running two amps at the same time, tricks and tips?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by padavis, Feb 16, 2008.

1. padavis

padavis Member

The title says it. For those using two amps tell me some tips and tricks you use to get cool sounds and just great tone.

2. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I run two all the time, actually four.

Two (BF Princeton Reverbs) are split stereo with a TC Nova Delay and the other two (Mad Professor and Naylor) are split with a TC 2290 Delay. I use a Bradshaw switching system to run all my pedals and choose between clean and dirty amps. The lead amps run through two THD 2x12 cabs.

I LOVE two amps on, much bigger sound, even when playing them quieter.

I'm using this system tonight at a gig, it just sounds HUGE!

3. straightblues

straightblues Member

It can be done with any stereo effects pedal. The only thing to watch out for it noise. Some times you get buzzing. I have a ABY box that I use. If you are going to use two amp all the time, you will eventually want to buy an ABY box. Get a good one and you won't have any problems.

I have used them for one clean and one dirty amp in the past. Now I use them for just a bigger wider tonal palate.

4. dano73327

dano73327 Member

I recently started messing with running two amps. I have a marshall plexi 50w through 4 greenbacks and a Reverend Hellhound combo with a vintage 30. I use the stereo out on an Ibanez AD-9 and send the delay to the reverend combo, it makes a way better and bigger sound and can make for some awesome lead tones when boosted. I love it. I can't wait to get some better amps and switching setups to experiment more.

5. ~Naylor38~

~Naylor38~ Member

I run a Twin and a Naylor ABYed. One tip (the most important,imo) is using
    a good quality ABY switch with an in phase/out of phase switch. I really like the Radial Switchbone, but there are a few others that have the phase switch.
    If you are running two similar amps (Twin and a Deluxe....ect) you may
    not need phase correction, but Fender with a Marshall, or Vox ...look for the phase switch and you will hear a huge difference.

6. mibu

mibu Member

yes, you should use a high-quality ABY switcher - my recommandation is to use a Lehle switcher. compared to all other available on the market it is the most transparent! you should have one of the two outputs electrically isolated from the other - this eliminates the ground-loop noise.

7. NaylorStrat

NaylorStrat Member

I run a very similar setup, as my signature shows. Using the Startouch ABY, I have no noticeable volume or tone loss, and no ground hum. Like already mentioned, two amps does give you a bigger, fuller sound. Personally I've found that running my Naylor dirty, and my Twin clean, I get a great rock tone that allows better definition of notes/arpeggiated chords.

Both amps at full tilt? Wall of freaking sound!

8. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I used to run a tri-amp setup.
    Fender Deluxe Reverb for cleans (22w)
    Splawn Competition for rhythm (25w)
    Cornford Hurricane for leads (20w)

.. Well it kinda worked but I just ditched it all for a single channel head and cab. Somehow works better.

9. Teahead

Teahead Member

I'm currently researching an ABY to use my AC30 and 18w Plexi in tandem, I have tried splitting the signal from my Eventide delay but there exists a hum that I presume to be a ground loop. I'm leaning towards a custom build with isolated outs from MonkeyFX.

What I'd like to ask, can I jumper one amp into the other? I'd like to plug into the Plexi and jumper out to the AC30, but am unsure if it's ok to do so? Especially as there's an obvious issue running them in stereo without isolation.

Any advice welcome, as I'm likely to just try it one day anyhow, so stop me if it could be in any way harmful to the amps.

10. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

I stopped using chorus pedals in my recording studio because of the amazing natural swirl derived from multi-amps and M.S. mic placement.

11. saurudi

saurudi Member

hi guys,

well, i also tried running two amps at the same time but to my surprise the tone became somewhat thinner and not bigger.
    i use a lehle dual A/B switcher newest version with the phase switch so this shouldn´t be the problem.
    oh, the amps are a heritage colonial and a demeter tga 2,1 and soon a joining a heritage briton.
    what i´m doing wrong:NUTS

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

James,

What amp did you replace all of those listed?

13. Glide

Glide Member

Hi padavis,

I have a 78 Fender Twin Reverb and I am running it in stereo with a Komet Concorde using a switchbone A/B/Y pedal. The Komet has an Avatar cab with a Celestion Vin 30 and G12H. I set the Komet volume on about noon where there's really good breakup and then I dial in about 2.5 of reverb on the Fender Twin just to give it a hint of clean reverb across the spectrum for depth. Then I adjust the volume up on the Twin where the sound of both sits right in the middle of the amps. The natural distortion of the Komet with the ultra cleans of the Twin Reverb make a really nice round tone.

[​IMG]

14. ~Naylor38~

~Naylor38~ Member

:AOK
    Wall Of Freaking AWESOME tone...I love the Naylor(ev38) with a clean Twin !!!! I have tried a ton of amps, but nothing has ever come close to this combination...love it. +1 to NaylorStrat for bringing the TONE !!!

15. padavis

padavis Member

Thanks for the info dudes

16. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

I rather like running a SS clean amp with a very slightly dirty tube amp. Nice combination of tones.
    Currently running a Sovtek MIG-50 with a boogie open back 4x10 as my left amp and a G&K ML250 with a 2x12 Vox cab as my right side. Split with a TC Electronic Nova Delay.
    I use a Yamaha Compressor to boost the Sovtek close to overdrive.

Works great and sounds lovely!