Running Two amps simultaneously

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RPFSingleCoil, Nov 4, 2005.

1. RPFSingleCoil

RPFSingleCoil Member

Will someone shed some light on what's available for running two amps, AB box etc.

thanks,

Robert

2. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

This makes it easy and quiet. The best I've tried.

Lehle Dual

3. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Supporting Member

do you want to run two separate heads into one cab? or do you have two separate head/cab pairs and want to switch between them?

if you want two heads to share a cab, i've been using a tonebone headbone for a while with great results. i've heard other options, but this seems to work fine for me.

if you just need to switch between two different amp/cab pairs, there are a lot more options. i've been using a framptone 3-banger and haven't had any problems. d/13 also makes the switchhazel, which can switch between two amps and also has a boost feature built in.

you could probably do a search and get lots of comparisons & recommendations.
    ~chris

4. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

I use the Framptone Amp Switcher with excellent results...

5. RPFSingleCoil

RPFSingleCoil Member

Thanks for the input.
    I'd like to switch and have the opportunity to run at the same time--two combos, BFPR & Clark Tweed.

Robert

6. guitarz_dave

guitarz_dave Member

7. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I run into two amps almost all of the time, now if you are not running into identical amps, you may need to check phase. Some amps may have more tubes than others, meaning that you signal is changing phase through each of these tubes (I know you tech guys are goign to say that depends if the use only one side of the tube or both). If I am not using a stereo chorus I typically use either Axess BS-2 or a Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso, both have normal and reverse phase outputs.

You should experiment with this, when you get it right you will here that it sounds fuller. I used to just use a splitter or A/B box, but have since heard the difference.

TheGrooveking

8. leofenderbender

leofenderbender Supporting Member

The Framptone Amp Switcher is switchable to change the phase to avoid issues related to a phase mismatch.

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I tried it a couple of times, just using my Visual Sound H2O pedal, that has two outputs.

I was just floored by the extra "oomph" it gave, the quality of the sound. I tried it a few times and liked it very much.

The only thing is, I need to think a lot about this if it was going to be my "normal" setup, because levels, control, etc can be complex. Also, often when gigging you just get one mike for the amp, if you have two it makes it more complex for the soundman (shouldn't...but seems to be. I would think they could "gang" the two and set levels, grouping them to treat them as one) or sometimes there is no extra input for "stereo amps". It doesn't do so much good if you can only hear the effect on stage but the audience doesn't.

One thing I just realized...just now as I write this, that with two-channel amps, if you are using one amp for "effects" like chorus, vibe, or phase...even reverb, is that you could set one channel to be no volume and then control if the effect is on or off by switching channels to the one that is effectively "off"...

I gotta think more about this. But (I have asked this before here) you guys that use to amps regularly,
    how do you do it?
    How do you set them up?
    Is it ever a problem with miking them, do you sometimes lose a "channel"?
    Is it hard to keep control over what's what?

Any remarks, tips, problems, or solutions would really be appreciated. Probably also for the originator of this thread too I think.

I sure would like to hear from you!

10. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

I used to use a Morley A/B/Y box, but it loaded the pickups and really dulled the tone. So I recently picked up the Voodoo Lab Amp Selector - you can have up to 4 amps, plus it has a tuner out. The outputs are buffered so you don't lose your tone. I haven't tried the Framptone or Lehle, but I've heard good things.