Running two boost pedals, one always on? - Input please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by deadletteroffice, Dec 3, 2019 at 11:55 AM.

1. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Hey all, curious where people prefer the always on boost.

Since I'v been playing mainly a Strat and a Tele the past year I have gravitated towards leaving my EP boost on all the time, but I then reach down and turn it up for solos. I have it right before my OD because I like the additional drive it produces pushing the OD.

I'm reworking my board for some new pedals and want to throw a second EP on while I'm at it so I can have one always on and one for solo boost. I'm torn where to put the always on one. My initital instinct was last. But I'm now wondering if it should be first. I have other buffers in the Strymon's but I can turn those off. I also have a couple fuzz pedals I swap out of their spot now and then and I always run those right after my tuner, and as I understand it running a buffer before can be problematic for some fuzzes, so if I ran it early I'd want to wire it right after fuzz.

Any input from anyone running two boosts and your experiences would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Dominik

Dominik Member

Xotic RC Booster V2 might be worth considering since you can switch between two gain levels (and off) and it's not going to add even more mids like a second EP Booster.

Could be the solution if you already like a boost where it is and maybe put the EP right at the end as an overall boost or just leave it always on. My EP Booster is always on at the end of the chain and running at 18V. I use an RC V2 for boost.

[​IMG]

3. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Supporting Member

Boost 1st is more gain.
    Boost last increases volume.
    Not sure if that's helpful, you probably already know this:aok

tonedover and phazersonstun like this.
  4. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

Thanks guys. With a blackface amp the more mids is not a bother, at least to me.

The RC is interesting for sure. Thanks for reminding me. I had one of the older white ones and always leaned toward wanting to use it as an OD rather than a boost but it didn't have enough drive sometimes so I went away from it. Maybe the new one works it all out.

5. Oinkus

Oinkus Member

Get the rubber knob cover they make and just turn it up with your foot. I run one always on minimum setting to just make my cleans better.

deadletteroffice and AceBSpankin like this.
  6. JoePerkinsMusic

JoePerkinsMusic Member

Personally I'd put your always-on one after fuzzes & before ODs - that way you always keep a consistent level of gain to feed all your ODs & get everything dialled in without the buffered output potentially screwing with your fuzzes. Then I'd put the other right at the end - level and/or gain boost, depending on how close to breakup you set your amp. I wouldn't necessarily restrict yourself to two EP Boosters though - lots of other fun to be had. Something like the KOT could give you two boost options in one pedal; a Klon-style boost could give you a good amount of internal headroom & some easy extra cut for leads; the JAM Boomster can be set as a nice dirty boost; etc. Many different options - but if the EP is your 'thing', go for it! :)

LeftyGtrPlr and AceBSpankin like this.
  7. deadletteroffice

deadletteroffice Member

I see a lot of other boosts but the EP always works for me with any guitar. It's super simple and that makes me not over think it. I like the lead boost one before the OD so it pushes the OD into a bit more drive as well. Maybe I should just wire them in sequence early, after fuzz but before OD. Thanks for the thoughts!

JoePerkinsMusic likes this.
  8. x24gtrman

x24gtrman Member

Try the Xotic Super Sweet for an always on option. I love the EP boost and the SS was the only pedal that knocked it off the board bc it's that much fatter to my ear. I had the RCv2 but found it too raspy for an extra boost. Tried the 2B from Fulltone and it was too stiff sounding. The SS is very tweakable too bc the dipswitches are on the outside of the pedal. Adding the EP with the SS is great, too.

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

On my large board I kinda have two boosts... One pre-dirt section and one post. Neither are "always-on" but both get used a lot and sometimes together. Pre is there to increase gain, post is there for solo boost. Together is a really nice clean-ish edgy sound but louder. I feel like I have infinite gain levels with my big board using those two boosts. :aok

AceBSpankin and toddincharlotte like this.
  10. toddincharlotte

toddincharlotte Supporting Member

This^^^

First, if you like your tone where your always-on boost currently sits, I wouldn't move it [boosts the OD etc.].

Second, as FB says above there's two ways to treat your solo boost. If you put it before the always-on, it will give the tone more gain but not a ton more volume. You're basically boosting your always-on boost with additional gain. If you put it after the always-on [or toward the end of your chain] it will make your overall sound louder.

Washburnmemphis and FenderBigot like this.
  11. chadmo1

chadmo1 Member

If you are just looking to bump your volume a bit, I'd stick a TC Spark mini at the end. It's been a while since I had one, but I don't remember any change in tone, it just made everything louder. The switch is also pretty cool for a boost. You can turn it on and off like a regular switch, or press and hold it down and when you let off it stops, so if you want to just play a lick louder, you press and hold instead of clicking on and clicking off.

12. Charlie Monsoon

Charlie Monsoon Member

This is how I run mine.

[​IMG]36FAFBC8-065E-46EF-83B9-DCDEE039E800-10977-000010220FBD1AB7 by sendtoloro, on Flickr

The Micro Amp is always on last. Only slightly boosted. I just like what it does to the sound. The Micro Amp + up front is more for when I change to a lower gain guitar. It's good for the basic tone balancing between a Jazzmaster and a Mustang. Though I sometimes use it as a shapable pre boost if using a one guitar setup.

13. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

I use several boosts on my board, Barbershop V2, transparent boost, mostly on, 1st before overdrives and an Archer Ikon, optional, after overdrives and before Diamond compressor, as a boost, optional, and modulation.

I have used a Barber Compact Gain Changer as a boost and a Green Rhino Mark II, depending on the situation.

YMMV