Running two heads into one cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by FiestaRed, Jan 26, 2008.

1. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

I have two heads, a DSL-50 and a Peavey Classic 30 that I run into a single Marshall 4X12. Every time I want to switch from one head to the other, I have to switch the speaker output cord to the other head. Is there a way I can have an A/B box that will switch from one head to the other and run them both into the single cabinet? Does such a product already exist, or would something need to be custom built?

Thanks in advance!

2. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

3. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Yes. Axess makes a head switcher that works great. Tonebone makes a head switcher but I had nothing but bad luck with two of them. Palmer makes a Triline/EFrog system that works well.

I use the Axess H2 system.

4. GITTarzann

GITTarzann Member

There are several units that do just that.

One is by Sound Sculpture called head trip or something like that.

Tone Bone makes one

http://www.tonebone.com/tb-headbone-vt.htm

there are more, these are the first 2 that popped in to my head.

5. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Gold Supporting Member

These are EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you so much .:AOK

-Mark

6. jeffh

jeffh Member

I use a headbone. It's great, no noticeable tone coloring and the switching is immediate and quiet. Big fan.

7. freaksho

freaksho Member

8. Zero

Zero Member

The switching with the Headbone is not immediate by any stretch. There is a gap in the sound, say if you were holding a chord out. I've contacted Radial and they confirm this as "necessary". I got rid of the one I had.

9. michael.e

michael.e Silver Supporting Member

Hey Gilbert,
    Is there any tonal compromise when using a switcher? Please tell me that it sounds exactly like plugging straight in to the Speaker Cab.

Emee

10. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

I use the Tonebone Headbone with no problems. Axess says they're coming out with a new head switcher that has improvements over the HS2, which they no longer make.

11. jeffh

jeffh Member

Interesting. I gig with mine regularly, never experienced any delay, switches just like a channel switcher. I use a two amp setup of %13 JRT , Orange Tiny Terror, Bad Cat Hot Cat or a Vox AC15HH depending on the gig, works great with all of them.I use the "slingshot" input and a have a one button switch on my pedal board.

Having said that, never had a reason to switch amps while holding a chord, so I haven't tried that.

12. cfdude

cfdude Member

Stay away from the Radial Headbone with high gain amps. You will get some really weird feedback loops. I used one with a Mesa Rocket 44 and a Marshall JCM-900 SLX. It would get a high frequency squeal or sound like parallel loop with a phase problem. The tech at Radial said this happens with high gain heads because of the transfomer being to close to the outputs. I even used 12 gauge speaker wires and monster cables but still had issues.

13. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

I have not heard any difference with the Axcess.

The Headbone was a nightmare, it never worked and finally, on my dime, I sent it back to them, they sent me a new one and that one didn't work. Finally the store I bought it from gave me a refund. They said it didn't work for them either.

The Palmer is great, Sonny Landreth turned me on to it, but I don't like buffers.

14. Tonefish

Tonefish Member

Ah...thanks! Maybe that explains why it works for some and not for others. Nonetheless, I'm looking forward to seeing what Axess is coming up with to replace the HS2.