Running two heads to a 1X12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sleeperaxe, Feb 6, 2012.

1. sleeperaxe

sleeperaxe Supporting Member

Can I wire up a 1X12 cab so that I have two 8ohm heads running into two separate jacks that are connected to the same speaker?

I want to use an ABY box between my guitar and the heads to select, but I don't want to use another ABY between the heads and the cab. Simpler just to plug each cab into separate inputs.

Both heads would be powered up and plugged into the jacks, but only one would have a guitar signal running through it at any given time.

Would this work, or would it blow my speaker? Or have other horrible consequences?

2. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

3. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

4. sleeperaxe

What if the load is 16 ohms and the heads are both set at 8 ohm?

More generally, if you don't mind, why would the OTs blow, other than mismatched impedance?

Thanks for the tip on the Tonebone. I'll either stick with my 1960A or get two 1X12s, probably.

5. ToneGrail

ToneGrail Member

I would think that would be like plugging the speaker out of one head into the speaker out of another head. Not something you would want to do.

6. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

You can if you have a 2x12 fitted with 8 ohm speakers and an Avatar Multi Jack system. Run each head at 8 ohms into each speaker. Just make sure your pedalboard has 2 outs. If not, pick up a Radial Twin City switcher and have both on.

7. blueswah

blueswah Silver Supporting Member

Pretty sure an OT might/ can blow when there is being no speaker load on it.

8. sleeperaxe

Well, it seems like the problem would be more that speaker jacks are not a one way street, so the signal from one head would actually travel through the speaker, out the other jack, and into the output of the other head. Probably not good.

9. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I use a Palmer TriLine A+B/Y Mute in conjunction with the Palmer E-FROGG TriLine Cabinet Switch Extender.

So far I have used this system with my Glaswerks Super Over Drive 100 watt head with a Soldano 100 watt Super Lead Overdrive
    Komet 60
    Naylor Super Drive 60
    Suhr OD-100 Classic Plus and PT-100
    3 Monkeys Super Monkey 100 watt head
    Bogner Shiva EL-34 head
    Two Rock Type 1
    Marshall JTM 45 head

No problems and sounds killer the speaker cab has been a Glaswerks Thiele 1x12 cab loaded with a EVM-12L also a Kerry Wright 2X12 cab loaded with '80's Celestion GH-1265 and a Soldano 4x12 loaded in a X-Pattern with '70's Celestion G-12M "Black Backs" and Weber Silver Bell 50 watt speakers.

Occaisionally, I run the amps through my Faustine Phantom DX-2 Attenuator.
    The Palmer TriLine A+B/Y and E-FROGG system works flawlessly and sounds spectacular!

10. Twangmeister

Twangmeister Supporting Member

:agree

I bought mine used here on TGP and it has proven to be reliable and indispensable.

11. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Correct these are passive components. They don't know about direction.
    You will be loading one head with the other heads secondary which will reflect to the primary of both amps and your tubes will not be happy on either one ! You don't want to do that !

12. lpaine

lpaine Opinions are like... Just don't become one. Gold Supporting Member

+1 for the Radial Tonebone