Ruokangas owners

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Lerxst2112, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Speak out! What do you have? Likes/dislikes? Spare me no details!

2. BattleAngel

BattleAngel Member

My Ruokangas is a custom- not exactly a one off, but close. They call the model a VSOP Supreme, this is a VSOP Jubilee as I like to call it- it's an Arctic Birch fingerboard, top, pickguard, and backplate- the backplate contains an amazing one of a kind of Jubilee (a character from my band) inlay. The body is Spanish Cedar, the neck is maple, there is a unique headstock stain. It's a Wilk' trem, 3 P90 pickups, buzz feiten system.

Opinions? I don't ever need another electric guitar in my arsenal- this guitar does it all for what my band needs of me. The clarity is tremendous, there is a depth to the notes that must be felt to be believed; this is an instrument that has a distinguished character all its own but allows one to really express himself clearly. It's great distorted or clean, a very strong sound that has a beautiful high end.

The weight is perfect for me, a very balanced guitar. This is a high-end, hi-fi instrument, and I love her very much. I don't think it WILL be my last electric, but it certainly is all I need.

3. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

That's awesome. I'm specifically interested in the Duke Deluxe.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

How about some pics???? :D

5. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Mr. Briggs - When will the Classic be up on your site?

6. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I have a custom ordered Duke Special with Birch top and extra bindings. GREAT guitar, build quality is amazing the only guitars that i have touched that are as good are my Chapins and Johan Gustafssons Bluesmaster. The sound is amazing as well, clear and soulfull. Can be very LesPaul like sounding if you want that. The neck pickjup is the clearest sound humbucker i have heard. It's a dream to play and looks AMAZING.
    Theres a few clips on my soundclick page, the latest ones are the better ones ( i play almost in tune as so :eek: ).
    The LOOK of the flamed birch top really has to be seen in person, here is a picture.
    [​IMG]

feel free to ask anything you like. Right now I'm fantasising about a Fender scale Duke with birch fingerboard, birchtop and p90's :dude . I will have to save for a while first.

7. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

That is a FANTASTIC looking piece! Truly gorgeous... what are you playing through on the clips? I haven't looked/listened yet, but I'll do that now...

8. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Ah, I see now. Good descriptions. Listening now!

9. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I love your tone on "All Thunderbird Blues." What pickups are in yours?

10. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Hey thanks :) . It's the classic "PAF" style pickups, with the extra clear neck pickup.:BEER

As you can see most recent clips are with www.custombycougar.com amps. The other amps featured are Mystique amps one ODS style and the other is loosly based on an early dumble ODS but made as a single channel amp.
    I just saw Roukangas new models, MOJO SUPREME seems like somthing i will need to try out. I also noticed the my model (Chambered) is not listed any more but I'm pretty sure Juha can make one if you want it.
    And the new semi's WOW. Juha does some amazing and VERY personal guitars. A special type of understated Finnish flash that i just LOVE.
    Keep up the good work Juha:AOK .
    http://www.ruokangas.com/

11. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Yeah, it's kind of between the Duke DeLuxe and Mr. Briggs' new Classic. Two very different guitars, but both appeal to me greatly.

12. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Two of the very best. Just flip a coin and you can''t lose either way.

13. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I'm sorry that you have to make such hard choices ;) . All i know is that I'm very happy with my Duke and VERY tempted to order another Roukangas. I would very much like to try some Briggs guitars some day. Order one of each and see which you prefer.
    A Duke DeLuxe sound very much like a great LesPaul but with added clarity and flexability.

14. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Man, I'm a college student! I can't even afford one! :)

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I am a bit behind in the website updates; been quite busy building guitars! I do mean to get the Classic up there. In the meantime, on the reviews link on my site is the recent Guitarist review from the January 2006 issue. As for any questions or insights, just email me and I'll be glad to answer them as soon as I possibly can!

Thanks,

16. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

Ahh, Jim.....you're just too kind! Thanks much, man! I see Eddie at Indoor Storm has found a home for one of your latest to him. I hope you have a long relationship with them. They've been great for me and I can't recommend anyone more highly. I just hope he still has the other that I can get over and play B4 it's sold!!!!

Cheers!:RoCkIn

17. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Thanks Jack. I've already sent Eddie another one, so there ought to be at least one left by the time you get there. BTW, he's a good guy and a good player. I can understand why people speak so highly of him.

18. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I feel horrible about what I did to him once (Eddie). I contacted them about ordering a Suhr, and I basically had tons of questions and, in the end, placed an order for a guitar. He called me back later and said John Suhr had told him the guitar I wanted wouldn't sound good with the materials selected. Me being as picky as I am, I then kept Eddie on the phone for like 30 minutes picking out woods, asking lots of questions, and told him I'd email him later with my final order. Well, I emailed him and didn't receive a response for several days. I figured he was just sick of me and I ended up ordering from Atlanta Music Brokers. Turns out, he went out sick for 5 days, and as soon as he got back, he returned my email. I felt horrible. I thought he just hated me... :) Turns out, he was just ill, and he lost my sale because of it.

So, if I order a Briggs, it will be through him. If, in the future, I order a Soloway, it will be through him. He's extremely helpful, a very nice guy, and a great player! Much, much better than I am...

19. Shades

Shades Member

Top quality stuff to be sure and Juha's stuff has his own sonic signature to it. I particularly dug the guitar matching the MP amp that I checked out at Namm (I only wished that I had been able to hear it without the "accompaniment")

20. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

Oh great, three of the best luthiers in the US in one thread... now where's John Suhr?