• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

RUSH: 2112

• Love it

Votes: 192 88.9%
  • Hate it

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Okay, but very dated compared to their other albums

Votes: 19 8.8%

• Total voters
I just bought the remastered cd for five bucks. Honestly, only for the first side. The second side is practically filler for me.
I would prefer Side One from Caress because even with "Bald," you get "The Necromancer" which is one of Alex's best early solos. Plus "Bastille Day" and "Lakeside Park."
Maybe the last track, but "The Twilight Zone?"

mattz

I just bought the remastered cd for five bucks. Honestly, only for the first side. The second side is practically filler for me.
I would prefer Side One from Caress because even with "Bald," you get "The Necromancer" which is one of Alex's best early solos. Plus "Bastille Day" and "Lakeside Park."
Totally agree. I was just talking about this today with my drummer. He told me they almost lost their record deal with Caress which I think
is a great album. But you can hear from 2112 how they were starting to change their sound into the more "Farewell to Kings" and "Hemisphere" type tunes.

For me, Hemispheres is easily their best epic, plus it also rocks. 2112 would be second. The Fountain Of Lamneth, third. It tends to lose me a bit the more it goes on. And sometimes I think 2112 is too mellow in certain parts.
The Camera Eye, and Xanadu are a more successful blend of heavy and light for my ears.

fetchmybeer

Does anybody have the surround mix of 2112 yet? I would think parts of it sound pretty great in that format, but was disappointed in the lack of cool surround in the mix of Farewell To Kings. They should've let Steven Wilson do it.

erksin

Side Two borders on the unlistenable to me, and I've been a massive fan for almost 40 years now.

A Farewell To Kings is a quantum leap from 2112. Listen to them back to back. Amazing the growth they had as a band between those albums.

Rotten

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of 2112; clearly a hard rock band without the instrumentation of Yes or Genesis, but trying to employ that extended concept within their limitations. Aside from enjoying side one (my Star Wars enthused son always has fun listening to it in the car), I love the sound of the instruments. Not so many layers that you can't hear each part. I also love Alex Lifeson's guitar sound and his juxtaposition of dirty and clean tones. I heard he used a 335 and a Super Reverb for that one. Great sounds.

Side Two borders on the unlistenable to me, and I've been a massive fan for almost 40 years now.

A Farewell To Kings is a quantum leap from 2112. Listen to them back to back. Amazing the growth they had as a band between those albums.
And this is why I started this thread. Just something about that second side feels very uneven, or "rushed," to me.
Passage: WTF? Rush doing their version of Sweet Leaf?
Twilight: I forgot how bad this was.
Lessons: Probably the closest to almost going somewhere.
Tears: Still one of my most hated Rush songs they ever did. I like Rivendell more than this one. Yuck.
Nothing: It's almost something.

I love certain albums by this band.
But 2112 is uneven - even by Rush standards!

The first side is still a blast for me to play on my guitar. De-tune that thang for "Discovery!"
:dude

It's also the album that proved they needed a keyboardist, or a Gedboardist. With AFTK, Rush albums started to become much more lush.

NorCal_Val

Great album. It goes without saying that Side 1 is the best of their early albums.(just listened to Caress of Steel yesterday, for the first time in a looooooooong time. It's still a damn good album!!)
I love the live version of "Something For Nothing" on "All the World's a Stage".

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
That was my first Rush album. Made quite an impact on the development of my musical taste and lead me more towards Prog. It does not hold up for me as well as several of their other CD's, and I agree with others who have commented on how weak side two is. But I still listen to it every once in a while.

reo73

I don't really listen to it much anymore, preferring albums like Hemispheres and A Farewell to Kings over 2112. For me, 2112 has a bit too much 70s "classic rock" feel to it, which for some reason is a bit of a turn-off. But, I completely respect it for what it is and how it changed their trajectory into full prog rock legends.

Trending Topics