Rush - a band who is not for most women?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by WildRanger, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Lance

Lance Member

Rush? Try a Primus show. It takes a certain kinda lady to appreciate Primus.

pbenn2112 and 27sauce like this.
  2. mge80

mge80 Member

I see "It's Time"/"finwale" has returned with yet another username....:rolleyes:

3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

And Larry landed himself a Barker’s Beauty?!

4. anxiousmofo

anxiousmofo Member

They're not for most men, either.

BigPapiFan and estrago1 like this.
  5. flume

flume Gold Supporting Member

Another great glimpse here...

Girls who were into Poison.

Mostly those were "river people" when I was a kid.

6. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

When it comes to popular music, the lower the danceable beat/catchy melodies/lyrics about love/partying factor, the fewer women in the audience.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I don't think there's any real factual debate that Rush fans, on average, are more likely to be male. I myself only got to see two Rush shows (a fact I'm embarrassed now to admit :eek: ). The audience in both cases were overwhelmingly male. But this is not to say Rush is "not for women." Their appeal to the female audience is simply more selective. ;)

B Money likes this.
  8. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Because of how they looked in the earlier jump suit album covers from the 70's

I think it was something to do with most Prog Rock bands and still is. Girls like simple lyrics (about them), not neoclassical poetry or songs that have a ton of wankery in them.

Also a similar reason why there are more males that can play chess than females.

9. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

[​IMG]
    This would never happen at any progressive rock or fusion concert ever!

[​IMG]

This is what your girlfriend or wife is thinking when you took her to that progressive rock or fusion concert of your favorite artist as a date night outing.

Guitar George

10. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Weird that Rush drives women away but Tool seems to be comparatively way more popular amongst the XX crew. Maybe it's not just proggy rhythms?

11. Oldschool59

Oldschool59 Member

I can only speak anecdotally. My wife, who is otherwise into a very wide spectrum of music (rock, jazz, classical, some metal, and many more), absolutely hates Rush. Whenever I put on a Rush piece, she leaves the room. I asked her what drives her away, and she said that while (some) of the tunes are great, she cannot stand Geddy's voice. To her, the voice is the showstopper. I imagine she's not alone.

BigPapiFan and Cotton like this.
  12. prototype

prototype Member

chirills, Nevets and Tidbit like this.
  13. WildRanger

WildRanger Member

I think you can dance to this Rush tune:

circumstances likes this.
  14. Lephty

Lephty Member

Lol...it ain't just Rush. What do you suppose is the ratio of men to women here on TGP?

HesNot likes this.
  15. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

Bytors battling Snowdogs just does not appeal to women in my travels.

jbd3 likes this.
  16. jbd3

jbd3 Please Don't Sell Me Any More Gear Silver Supporting Member

Wee obviously you been traveling in the wrong places, man

Tidbit likes this.
  17. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

I saw Iron Maiden on this last run and there were roughly the same percentage of women, maybe a few more, than at the R40 Rush show.

The band themselves joked about it in Beyond the Lighted Stage. I've only known one or two women who were Rush fans. I had women friends who loved music and would admit they appreciated the musicianship of the band but just didn't dig the music - but they generally weren't into Yes etc... either.

I can't speak for more recent generations but when a lot of musical foundations are built, middle and high school, my disaffected female friends gravitated more to Depeche Mode and The Cure than to Maiden or Rush. Why is not always clear to me however...

18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

It's not just Rush. It's prog rock in general. As with most forms of entertainment that are strongly biased toward one sex, some of it probably has to do with what women are socialized to like, and some of it probably reflects biological tendencies. A lot of women are socialized to be into entertainment that focuses on aesthetics, drama, and human relationships and emotions. Maybe women also have some natural tendencies that would predispose them to be into that stuff. Either way, most prog rock doesn't seem to tick enough of those boxes to appeal to many women.

Rush would be a particularly hard sell with many women, because their music is quite technical, their lyrics are not very emotional, and they are not really focused on aesthetics.

One exception I have encountered is Dream Theater's Scenes from a Memory album. It has a very emotional and dramatic story that mostly focuses on human relationships, and the music has some extremely epic and beautiful moments. Several women in my life have enjoyed that album.

A lot of women also love the band Ghost, who can be quite proggy at times. I think that's because they have amazing aesthetics and a fun theatrical vibe that is somewhat reminiscent of The Phantom of the Opera.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Beto likes this.
  19. Tidbit

Tidbit Member

I travel where the women flock. Is that so wrong? ;)

jbd3 likes this.
  20. drewl

drewl Member

My wife likes Rush.

She's a rocker with great taste in music.

Man with Gas likes this.