• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Rush - a band who is not for most women?

kcprogguitar

You could say that about almost every progressive rock band ever. And the genre of fusion. There isn't much of a grand explaination aside from the fact that the members of such bands tended to not be guys who cared about being fashionable, or catering to a dancing crowd, or general extroverted "rock star" personas. It's not hard to imagine why a young woman would be enticed by Jim Morrison humping the air but not be enticed by Robert Fripp sitting there in his glasses.

Noise Under The Floor

A happy-go-lucky chap, always dressed in black.
Platinum Supporting Member
I used to work with a woman, quite attractive too (think young Suzanne Somers crossed with Meg Ryan) whose favorite band was Rush. She went to see them and came in the next day complaining that the set list was “too heavy on the radio hits” and naming off some deeper cuts she was hoping to hear.

I was impressed with that, but when she said Alex’s solo in Limelight that night wasn’t his best she’d heard him do it live, my jaw dropped.

dansworld

Gold Supporting Member
I don't know about this...I've seen PLENTY of women at Rush concerts, singing loudly and playing air drums!

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
I used to work with a woman, quite attractive too (think young Suzanne Somers crossed with Meg Ryan) whose favorite band was Rush. She went to see them and came in the next day complaining that the set list was “too heavy on the radio hits” and naming off some deeper cuts she was hoping to hear.

I was impressed with that, but when she said Alex’s solo in Limelight that night wasn’t his best she’d heard him do it live, my jaw dropped.
Sworn affidavits or it did not happen... :sarcasm

circumstances

Much more women in the latter days than in the early days, for sure.

Still an effed up ratio.

I personally have known 100s of female Rush fans.

My ex wife loves Rush.

I personally blame it on The Necromancer, and Cygnus, the God of Balance (not doing his damn job in this area).

MkIII Renegade

Which band attracted less women...Rush or Triumph?
The trucker hat worn by the bass player of Triumph is known to have repulsed women in Milan....while the band was still in Canada!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Love 'em, and I have the DVD of their '83 US Festival performance, but this is NOT exactly a tractor beam for young women!

No_Stairway

Yea I don't know!I was introduced to Rush Moving Pictures by my 14 yeR olx cousin when I was 3-4, I used to sneak into her room at night and make her play Tom Sawyer

circumstances

Their final show at the LA Forum in August, 2015 was actually packed with females!

I took this at the after party. Stewart Copeland, Neil, Carrie (Neil's wife, obscuring Taylor Hawkins), Chad Smith, and Doane Perry. Danny Carey had just wandered off.

sixty2strat

Got laid once when I pointed out to this girl in college that Xanadu was taken almost verbatim from Coleridge's Poem.

Last edited:
Down on Bourbon Street, for generations we have had Female Impersonator clubs.

Everyone knows these are not women. I mean, 99% at least. But the customers at these shows are almost all men without their spouses/girlfriends - lone men or groups of lone men.

I have this strange sense there's a connection, between these Female Impersonators and bands like Rush. The necessity for actual women has been drawn down to dead minimum. Guys don't leave the Rush concert headed for that old ex-girlfriend's house nor are they headed for the whorehouse. It is a sort of antidote to women and all the trouble they represent, I think. An escape from them, of sorts.

SteveO

But the REO Speedwagon's frontman is not any prettier than Geddy and American chicks dug that band.
REO Speedwagon had the power ballads. That ups the game tenfold for attracting female fans. Rush had songs in undanceable time signatures and lyrics about trees.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom