RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage on Palladia

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by enigma, Feb 24, 2011.

1. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

And in an era when home recording was not ubiquitous, or even available to most.

2. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I didn't discover Rush until All the World's a Stage. Then I went back and bought their 1st 3 albums.

This doc finally puts a spotlight on John Rutsey. For decades he was just a face on the back cover of the debut album. Although Workin' Man is a staple of FM classic rock radio. It's too bad he was only featured after his death. Who knows how much new attention he would've gotten if he was still alive and healthy today.

3. blood5150

blood5150 Member

That footage was for a high school project one of his friends was working on...

4. enigma

enigma Member

I liked a bit with Rush touring with KISS. Gene Simmons and the rest of KISS having the usual orgy after shows while the boys of Rush all going back to the hotel to chill and go to bed, sort of - funny stuff.

I bought 2112, but never really got into them. But, the documentary really highlights their musicianship, unity and artistry. And, who knew Neil was such a deep thinker and prolific reader. I liked the bit with Sebastian Bach buying Ayn Rand's "Fountain Head" at 12 just because Rush dedicated one of their albums to it.

5. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course

6. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Great documentary.. Great guys..

They are my age, and a small bit of the very early band stuff in the movie reminded me of my first band experiences... Then they took off, and became a legendary band....They became a long term musical institution based on creativity, great musicianship and hard work. The movie really helps you appreciate the character of the band and the hard work that they put into Rush over the past 40+ years.

7. enigma

enigma Member

Agree. Amazing dedication to their craft and to each other. They, like many successful bands, had just as much temptation to piss everything they've earned away, but kept their noses clean. Much respect.

8. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I got this on NetFlix the other night. I watched it all and was "transported back in time" to my junior high/high school when I listed to alot of Rush. Great DVD.
    I then watched the UFO DVD called Too Hot To Handle with some amazing 70's era Schenker.

It was a great music night!

9. blood5150

blood5150 Member

except for this one little slip up...

[​IMG]

http://www.knac.com/article.asp?ArticleID=2707