Rush breaks up

BMX

Supporting Member
I love Neil Peart but I wish they would have just gotten another drummer and kept going. So many great drummers out there. Yes, Neil was integral to the sound (and lyrics...) but it seemed like Geddy and Alex wanted to keep going.

Mentat

I love Rush but I'm fine with it. They had a very long career and gave us a bunch of music.
At least they didn't break up during their peak and over stupid drama.(Pink Floyd anyone)?
It probably gets very tiring being on the road for 40 years. (It only sucks for me because it makes me feel older, Tom Petty dies, Rush breaks up, reality sets in) Life goes on.
Thanks Geddy, Alex and Neil. Enjoy the retirement! :beer

Mentat

I love Neil Peart but I wish they would have just gotten another drummer and kept going. So many great drummers out there. Yes, Neil was integral to the sound (and lyrics...) but it seemed like Geddy and Alex wanted to keep going.
They said a long time ago that there is no Rush without Neil.
When he went through that horrible loss and hit the road on motorcycle for like 6 months to a year.
They just waited and hoped he would recover. But they didn't want to continue without Neil.

stratamania

A very sensible move I think. It doesn't stop any of them from pursuing any less demanding projects they may want to do.

I mean we know Neil joined from the second album on but he really helped to define what became the stadium power trio that Rush became. I just don't see them with a different drummer now.

IF Neil can't go on, then it maybe makes sense. Neil is just so iconic as a rock drummer, like he created all the cliches. On the other hand, he has a million imitators. But he kind of gave the music validity by giving it its beat, drive and energy. Hard to know what Rush would be with just the guitar and bass parts.

Jose Eduardo

They did the right thing. They've accomplished much and have nothing left to prove. Rest on the laurels I say. Well done lads.
Completely agree. Although this interview is recent, this is what they had mentioned during their R40 tour, that it would be their last.

Kind of sad, but I'd figured they were done for a while now. They had a great run and went out on a high note, and hopefully the guys can get some nice rest/work at their own pace from now on.

Marc Roy

I think everyone saw this coming at one point. It's weird to think about it - no more Rush.

I grew up listening to them for as long as I remember (my uncle gave me his copy of Hemispheres (on red vinyl) when I was about 10 years old). They've always been there. I admit I haven't paid much attention to their more recent albums (Counterparts was the last one that really did it for me), but the classic stuff will always be a part of my collection. It's fun to listen to a band which started off playing straight ahead rock n' roll progress to that point.

paranoid70

Yeah, this really isn't news. They were pretty clear that the last tour would be it. The only difference is all the other bands who reformed kind of makes it seem like, well it's not really over right.........

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Gold Supporting Member
I am a huge Rush fan, but I think it is time for them to retire. Alex has medical issues that affected his playing considerably. The 40th tour DVD makes that very clear. Every concert is like running a marathon for Neil. Neil mentioned several times how it is getting too hard for him. And Geddy's voice is gone on the higher registers.

Time to leave the legacy and do other things IMO.

They have left us with a true treasure chest of music with lots of precious stones. Please don't ruin it...

HerrRentz

Damn. I'll certainly miss them. RUSH was the first album I ever bought.

They had a great run, and as someone mentioned, went out without the drama. Probably the first time I've heard of a modern rock band just retiring like any other normal person would. Good on them.

Trending Topics