• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Rush Live, Presto Tour '90

bugzapper

Absolutely great stuff!! Thanks!

Anyone know where this was shot/recorded?

Lifeson is the master at keeping a power trio sounding fat with only a few notes and a bunch of chorus/delay/reverb. The band never sounds wimpy when his parts get sparse. His approach does so much for the dynamics of the song. As much as it's right to talk about him as influenced by Andy Summers in the 80s, by this time, he's very much into something original.

IMO, the Presto era is an underrated bit of Rush's career. Presto is a really good album; they're all playing great here; and Geddy's singing is excellent.

louderock

Saw Mr Big open this show in Atlanta. Paul Gilbert had a part in his solo where he used a drill to play his guitar. He did a "I'm a crazy guy" move where he put the drill next to his head and accidentally got his hair caught in the spinning drill. He went offstage and you could see a roadie with a flashlight trying to untangle him. It was a true Spinal Tap moment. Oh yeah, Rush was great.

Dasein

Next week it will be exactly 27yrs since I saw their Presto concert in Vancouver. Mr Big opened. The first of a number of Rush shows I have gone to over the years.
Great show that was - I was standing just centre left in front of Geddy for that right up front all night. Mr. Big was great too.

Rotten

Silver Supporting Member
I saw that concert in Irvine, CA I believe - could have been L.A. Always wondered why Alex pretends to say "Subdivisions." It's not him.

Rick Lee

I caught that tour in Philly and Pittsburgh. I like the much simpler stage setup from those days. Just the three of them, pounding away with nothing else to divert your attention.

Taller

Silver Supporting Member
Always wondered why Alex pretends to say "Subdivisions." It's not him.
That's what I was thinking while watching the video. He's admitted he can't sing. I'm guessing he approaches the mic to add to the illusion of background vocals, which certainly sound like Geddy, multi-tracked (not on 'Subdivisions', per se, but in general). Particularly later in their career when it became the norm for Ged to record all these layered backing vocals.

reo73

Caught that tour in Seattle while in HS. First Rush concert. I have fond memories of the Presto & Roll the Bones albums.

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
Same here. I always thought it sounded like Neal.

Presto... my least favorite Rush album. Such a thin sounding CD. I do like about half the songs, but the sound of that CD has always been a turn-off for me. I saw that tour, with the giant inflatable rabbits.

Rick Lee

Same here. I always thought it sounded like Neal.

Presto... my least favorite Rush album. Such a thin sounding CD. I do like about half the songs, but the sound of that CD has always been a turn-off for me. I saw that tour, with the giant inflatable rabbits.
I wish Caveman had produced Presto. IMHO, Counterparts is one of their best sounding, best produced, best engineered albums, though the songwriting is nothing special, and, in fact, sounds about as simple as Presto. But I love Counterparts and I'd love Presto more if it had more balls, which Caveman would have brought.

ethomas1013

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I love the guitar tones on Counterparts. The best recorded tones Alex ever had, IMO. And I like most of the songs too even thought, as you say, the songwriting is nothing special. I still go back and listen to Counterparts because I like the sound of that CD. Same with Power Windows, which is my favorite Rush CD. I think that one sounds great, is well produced, has a great mix, and also great songwriting. Even though the production is a bit dated I still listen to that one all the time.

Rick Lee

Same with Power Windows, which is my favorite Rush CD. I think that one sounds great, is well produced, has a great mix, and also great songwriting. Even though the production is a bit dated I still listen to that one all the time.
Oh, I could write a book on my thoughts on each section of each song on Power Windows. Peter Collins did just what was necessary to make that the perfect mid-80s Rush album, and that's when I started really getting into them. I bought my GK 250ML in 1988, took it to band practice two weeks ago, ran it through a 2x12 and we played Big Money. The other guys were like, "Wow. That sounds just like it." LOL. So much of that album sounds like it was done at the board rather than on the instruments. But when you break it all down and play it with a band, the chops are still as good as on any other Rush album. Great writing too.

DirtLover

Love it. Subdivisions might be my favorite Rush song, I love the crazy bass runs Geddy does when he steps away form the keys (1:40). My favorite band, first saw them on the Counterparts Tour - mind blown! Might have to watch I Love You Man again.

kitemonkey

Oh, I could write a book on my thoughts on each section of each song on Power Windows. Peter Collins did just what was necessary to make that the perfect mid-80s Rush album, and that's when I started really getting into them. I bought my GK 250ML in 1988, took it to band practice two weeks ago, ran it through a 2x12 and we played Big Money. The other guys were like, "Wow. That sounds just like it." LOL. So much of that album sounds like it was done at the board rather than on the instruments. But when you break it all down and play it with a band, the chops are still as good as on any other Rush album. Great writing too.
Those GK amps are definitely the best "Lifeson in a box" from that era you could ever hope to get in a small amp. I used them for years!

Trending Topics