Rush without Geddy Lee singing ..... would it have worked ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stumphead, May 21, 2019.

1. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Neil Peart is the only reason I would listen to Rush and I'm not even a drummer.

2. Beto

Beto Supporting Member

We could ask the same about Bob Dylan, The Ramones, Black Sabbah, and many others singers whose voices weren't stellar, but rather singular - which may range from having been essential for their achievements to not having been prejudicial enough to prevent them from succeeding, depending on each listener's opinion.

Whether it would have been better or worse, we will never know. But certainly it would have been different, and being different would mean that we wouldn't have the catalogue they've left as a legacy. And I wouldn't risk not having it in exchange for something else that is uncertain.

Nevertheless, if they had teamed up with a singer at the level of their musicianship, it probably would have rendered great music.

As Geddy's voice started to fade out in their last years of activity, I started to imagine how it would have been if Michael Kiske had been invited to sing their older material.

3. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

His voice was an essential part of their sound, especially the early days when his screams would trill at the end. Unique voices are cool.

4. guff

guff Member

After hearing stripped-down Motown mixes of iconic singles, with isolated instruments and rhythm section-only interplay... yes, it could work. Might even be preferable.

Geddy's vox is the jam-band-studio-record of Rush.

5. I Am Misery

I Am Misery Member

they were so awesome. as with most of their covers though, i think Metallica almost did their songs better than they did.

Dylan aside, it's not usually a case where the singer is "offensive to the ear" like Geddy Lee was.

rizla likes this.
  6. mikebat

mikebat Member

I have always loved Rush. I am not a fanatic, but they were part of my life growing up. I have seen them live more than any other band. I was never a huge fan of the sound of Geddy's voice, but he was a great vocalist. In the last 10 years of the band, his voice started to really show the wear and tear and he just could not pull off those songs anymore. It was painful to hear him sing.

I always hoped Alex and Geddy would get a singer, drummer and maybe a keyboardist, form a new band and let Geddy just play bass and play keys. They deserve an expressive outlet.

7. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

Geddy is great.

This thread makes no sense.

FuzzyAce, lazyjames and Kurt L like this.
  8. peter_heijnen

peter_heijnen Member

Rush without Geddy singing? :facepalm

Let me put it another way: who would you imagine singing with Rush instead of Geddy?

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  9. Beyondless

Beyondless Member

A Rush without Gary is not a Rush for me.

10. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

We discuss a lot of absurdities on TGP! I agree with you, though...

Exactly. Rush isn’t Rush without Geddy singing.

11. rstites

rstites Member

Agree with the last few posts. Rush without Geddy is a non sequitur. He is the central linchpin of the band and his vocals are part of the sound of the band.

Having said that, I do also like the idea of Alex and Geddy finding some other musicians and putting out some new work now, under a different name! (While we're on vocals, I though Geddy nicely tamed his vocals down as he aged into the 80's and 90's. I don't like the music quite as much, but the vocals became more "standard".)

12. drewl

drewl Member

Sure, they may have even been bigger with a Robert Plant or Freddie Mercury to pull off the grand bomastics of their music.

I'd love to hear a twenty-something year old Plant do the first album.

13. Scafeets

Scafeets Silver Supporting Member

I absolutely cannot listen to Rush because I find Lee's voice so annoying. His favorite band (Yes) suffered from the same affliction: A singer who could break glass and summon dogs. Both bands would have benefitted from a singer like Paul Carrack.

14. Blanket Jackson

Blanket Jackson ¿Qué Hiciste? Silver Supporting Member

I often wonder what if James Hetfield sang for Rush and Geddy Lee sang for Metallica

15. drewl

drewl Member

What?????

Is that a girl singing? Is that sped up? o_O:eek:

16. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

And after Geddy quit smoking his singing during the 80s synth heavy period was possibly the best singing he ever did - much more palatable. And towards the end his voice had deepened and he'd done more naturally enunciated singing. The early years was part youthful exuberance and part unschooled enthusiasm.

17. ahhlou

ahhlou Member

Ok, I understand the "what if" questions dealing with future possibilities but I view discussing "what if" relating to past events as unproductive dribble.

In the immortal words of Gene Simmons, " Rush is Rush ".

18. Baba

Baba Member

This.