Russia bans exporting tubes per EH/Mike Matthews

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Attention All EHX Tube Customers

Yesterday, Russia imposed a ban on the export of some 200 goods in response to the sanctions imposed on it over the current conflict in Ukraine. We have confirmed that the ban applies to our seven brands of Russian tubes. Currently, the ban is set to remain in effect until the end of the calendar year.

Given this export ban, we will not be receiving any further tube inventory for these brands. A myriad of pressures — including continued strains on the supply chain, escalating internal expenses, mounting inflation, and an ever-evolving legal landscape (particularly in light of the Ukraine conflict) — have created a very fluid and ambiguous environment. Until we can properly assess the impact of these factors, we will not honor any new orders or ship any more Russian tubes on back order.

Rock & Roll,
Mike Matthews
Founder & President

gldtp99

I'm so glad I'm not living in a basement with sandbags piled up along the walls because my city is being bombarded by an invading army

The importance of having certain Vacuum Tubes available for purchase, or not, seems to pale in comparison

coltonius

Señor Member
Silver Supporting Member
I'm so glad I'm not living in a basement with sandbags piled up along the walls because my city is being bombarded by an invading army

The importance of having certain Vacuum Tubes available for purchase, or not, seems to pale in comparison
Of course, but the need to white knight when everything else is frivolous by comparison does get a little old.. This is TGP, the literal point is frivolous discussion about frivolous things.

baron55

Well JJ is loving life, the only game in town left.

So, most likely we will see EH tubes for sale from China on eBay and other places

Ready to pony up? a here is an example…current production….in the US of A.

Of course that beats NOS prices……

Environmental considerati9ns demand expensive production….as would labor costs.

baron55

Here's a dumb question: Why can't an enterprising U.S. company consider manufacturing tubes? It can't be that difficult, especially since back in the mid-20th century, America was a leader in tube manufacturing.

Very simple economics. It has nothing to do with EPA or special cathode formulas that people talk about.

Semiconductors and computer chips are way more toxic.

Vacuum tubes are handmade and vary labor intensive. Third world counties are able to make tubes due to the cheap labor. Yes, there are machines, that help hand make them, but they are mostly hand made.

Today with current computer manufacturing, vacuum tubes could be made superior to any tube ever made, because computer-controlled machines could wind the grids and screens to dead nuts on tolerances. The problem is the cost to develop the machines and process would outweigh the potential profits they could bring, and the cost for tubes would be absurd.

A company in England that made CRT screens back in the late 2010's started making new design guitar amp vacuum tubes. Many here on this site including myself were beta testers. These tubes had more gain, clarity and tone than anything out there. They were microphonic in the first few batches, but with each tweak they got better. The company lost a huge CRT contract with China, which is where they made their real money, and they closed shop along with the early development of new tubes. But this proved that new tubes and manufacturing could work. Ther is just no money in it.

Most of all the tube equipment that was in the US was sold to China and other factories around the world.

Guitartim

Very simple economics. It has nothing to do with EPA or special cathode formulas that people talk about.

Semiconductors and computer chips are way more toxic.

Vacuum tubes are handmade and vary labor intensive. Third world counties are able to make tubes due to the cheap labor. Yes, there are machines, that help hand make them, but they are mostly hand made.

Today with current computer manufacturing, vacuum tubes could be made superior to any tube ever made, because computer-controlled machines could wind the grids and screens to dead nuts on tolerances. The problem is the cost to develop the machines and process would outweigh the potential profits they could bring, and the cost for tubes would be absurd.

A company in England that made CRT screens back in the late 2010's started making new design guitar amp vacuum tubes. Many here on this site including myself were beta testers. These tubes had more gain, clarity and tone than anything out there. They were microphonic in the first few batches, but with each tweak they got better. The company lost a huge CRT contract with China, which is where they made their real money, and they closed shop along with the early development of new tubes. But this proved that new tubes and manufacturing could work. Ther is just no money in it.

Most of all the tube equipment that was in the US was sold to China and other factories around the world.
Excellent response! Thank you.

I found this old RCA Tube Factory article showing the 'old school' manufacturing. Yikes!

1647038665245.png

El Rey

Double Platinum Member

Exactly right. Any decency and empathy for the next soul that exists hopefully is just as legion and hopefully more so.

I won't say much more about it other than there are some evil things happening. Undeserving people suffering right now makes me sick to my stomach and sad all at the same time. It can't be ignored, but it's difficult to watch unfold if you care anything about people at all.

There are no winners.

I imagine it sucks to be an amp builder right about now. They didn't ask for this either.

Export ban or not, I would not even consider purchasing anything made in Russia.

With Israel I drew the line between individuals and manufacturers. Suppose people were not buying used guitar pedals from you because of the actions of whatever president we might have at the time. Is that fair? It's not like we have much power regarding national policy, even if we are activists in agreement with the sentiments of those banning us.

On the other hand, there's a high probability that individuals are more in line with their national policy than people elsewhere, and while you might be unfairly bringing hardship upon someone, there's a higher chance you are prompting someone to reevaluate their national policy, which en masse may in turn have some consequence on leader policies.

Actually I have gone as far as having a dialogue to scope out a vendor's views, when they were selling something unavailable elsewhere.

JPH118

Silver Supporting Member
Export ban or not, I would not even consider purchasing anything made in Russia.

I have not purchased a Russian tube in many years.

Just an FYI for anyone interested, New Sensor is indeed a US company, based out of NYC, that happens to own the largest tube factory in the world in Russia… no oligarchs are being hurt by this, just blue-collar workers who were already earning a pittance in rubles on the dollar (which is pretty much the only way a tube factory could turn a profit in the past 40 years).

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
Barriers to entry seem to be falling by the wayside. NOS will eventually dry up. Someone stateside will time it right and make a living out of supplying guitar players tubes.

Unfortunately it’s 2122 and we’ve mostly all left for Mars. Import fees on made in USA tubes? Gosh, you don’t even want to know.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom