Russian Reflektor 6P14P (EL84) tubes in an AC30 - Anyone have any issues??

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Yamariv, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences installing the Russian Reflektor 6P14P (EL84) tubes in the tube torture chamber we call the AC30?

From my research, consensus is that the higher power handling 6P14P-EV's are fine to handle the AC30 but are the standard 6P14P or even the 6P14P-K able to do it reliably and last for years? Any and all experiences with these tubes welcome!!..

2. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I've had them in for a few years.

Love them.

Yamariv likes this.
  3. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

You've had the standard 6P14P in your AC30? No issues at all?

4. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

I don't have an AC30 but I use 6p14p-ev's in about any application. I have them in my Reeves Custom 12PS and in a 1956 era audio amp. They are known to be tough as nails and they are still relatively cheap so why not give them a try?

Yamariv and GA20T like this.
  5. GA20T

GA20T Member

No longer have an AC, but I've been considering a quad of these as backup for my YGM-3, which runs really high plate voltages.

Yamariv likes this.
  6. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

I have some 6p14p-EV's on their way, I'm not really worried about them in my AC30 at all as the EV is the most rugged version of them. I'm more curious about the standard version, the 6p14p or the 6p14p-K's.. I have both of these in my Tube stash but the more I read, it seems they may not be able to handle an AC30. Some other people say the standard 6p14p's can no problem..

7. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Apologies, as I can't recall if they're the standard ones or some other denomination.

No issues regardless.

I think you'll be fine.

8. pdf64

pdf64 Member

EL84 plate dissipation limit of 12 watts is under the most conservative rating system, design centre. We don’t know the rating system used to determine the 6n14xx 14 watt plate limit, so we may not be comparing like with like.

HotBluePlates likes this.
  9. WillLane

WillLane Member

I just went through this with my AC30 and 6P14P-EV's. My answer is: :dunno

Everything I've been told is that 6P14P's and variants are fine in an AC30 circuit. Yet I've had two sets red plate in my AC30 TBX which is otherwise operating normally. I could have just gotten unlucky and ended up with two unhappy quads, but I've been keeping an eye on the JJ EL84's and they have been stable.

Calculate the plate dissipation with the 6P14P's in and see what you get. As pdf64 said, the 12W rating for EL84's may be a conservative rating, especially considering AC30's often run their power tubes beyond 12W. Another thing to consider is that the 5,000 hours or 10,000 hours rating may not apply in a situation where the tubes are abused like in an AC30.

Yamariv likes this.
  10. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

Just to clarify, your are refering to the EV's correct?? Not the standard 6P14P?

Yeah, I found your thread about the blown up quads, that sucks, hope they were just the odd failures..

WillLane likes this.
  11. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

The 6P14P-EVs should be fine in an AC30. The standard is way less forgiving.

12. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

That's what I'm wondering, since the Standard is less forgiving does anyone have experience with the Standard ones in an AC30?

13. easyed

easyed Supporting Member

I can't speak directly to AC30 power tubes, but I've noticed that Dr. Z uses a pair of 6p14p tubes in the MAZ 18, but uses a quad JJ EL84's in the MAZ 38. The 38 has a solid state rectifier and a higher B+ voltage. He has said that a SS rectifier is not a good idea for his 2xEL84 amps.

He does not use any "suffixed" extended-life 6p14p's. I don't know, but believe that the extended-life tubes sacrifice some tone for durability. It would seem that the 6p14p's are not constructed to endure over-spec B+ voltage.

I have a pair of 6p14p's in my MAZ 18 and they sound great. They replaced a pair of Sovtek EL84M's (purported military grade) and the improvement in tone was impressive

The 6p14p's were constructed to military specs. They could withstand vibration (like in a vehicle) and high G-force (like in an aircraft) but they were engineered to run within the electrical characteristics of the military spec. Running them with a hot plate voltage will cook them all.

I'll suggest going with the JJ's.

Yamariv likes this.
  14. GT100

GT100 Member

My Guytron smoked one of them.
    But others were fine.
    Honestly I think everything said about them has been exaggerated.
    For example they sound good but I like the NS “Mullards” better in the Guytron.
    don’t think they are much more “Rugged” than your average EL84.

I seem to remember that they tend to draw more screen current-which is not good.

Lloyd

Yamariv likes this.
  15. oneblackened

oneblackened Member

Consider what a normal Sovtek EL84 does in an AC30. That's your average 6P14P.

Yamariv likes this.
  16. PerryR

PerryR Supporting Member

One of Ken Fischer’s articles in Vintage Guitar Magazine from 95’ ‘Care and feeding of your Vox AC30’ recommended the Sovtek standard grade, which were Russian 6n14n at the time (not -Ev etc). Ken also used those in his Rockets, and insisted on the same when he collaborated w/ Dr Z on the Zwreck.

Yamariv likes this.
  17. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have them in my AC15. They sound good. I have had them for a few years without any issues.

Yamariv likes this.
  18. Yamariv

Yamariv Member

The regular ones or the EV's?

19. straightblues

straightblues Member

Mine are the EV's. The package makes them look like EB. I guess the Cyrillic writing of the V looks like our B. I got them from KCA NOS Tubes. I bought a backup set after getting the first set. Price was very reasonable and they sound very good.

Yamariv likes this.
  20. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

I also got mine from KCA. He was even kind enough to use the Target Bikini section as paddling to ship

I run them pretty hard pretty regularly in an 18 watt trainwreck type build and they hold up and sound great