rust on output transformer?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jzucker, Jul 26, 2008.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Does this automatically mean problems if there is rust on the windings?

2. HipKitty

HipKitty Silver Supporting Member

It depends on the amount of rust penetration. I had a SF Bassman 50 come in that has lived through a flood. The customer wanted...short of demanding...that he wanted to keep the tranny's stock. Looking at the amp, I honestly had my doubts...checking the voltages, everyhting was within spec, so, the tranny's stayed and have been doing regular duty 3 nights a week without fail for the last 4 years.

3. recto-robbie

recto-robbie Member

Not a pro on this subject but ive seen many brand new amps still in the store with rust on their trannies.
    I dont mean flaking off rust,, just a slight surface rust.

4. brad347

brad347 Member

I'm not sure there's a hard and fast rule about it. Sometimes it can be fine, sometimes not. If every amp with rusted transformers were taken out of service, I'd bet we'd have a lot fewer amps in the world.

5. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Go to the FAQ's om Mercurymagnetics.com.

Here's an excerpt: "What’s this mean in plain English? Back in the early years, manufacturers of laminations intentionally exposed their iron to moist air to encourage rust to naturally form on the surfaces as an insulator! Like a fine patina on an antique bronze the rust on your transformer could be viewed as badge of honor. Assuming that your transformer doesn't have other problems like coil damage from excessive moisture exposure (common with paper bobbins), you can actually expect some improvements in output transformer tone and lower losses in power transformers as rust develops."

6. brad347

brad347 Member

how about that ****. Never heard that before. But the Mercury folks know their stuff.

7. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Yep - I used to stress about light rust on trannies - no longer.

8. Structo

Structo Member

That is strange, as I have always thought (or been told) that if the steel or iron laminations of the core of the transformer has rust invading it, it can degrade the properties and thus the performance of a transformer.
    Live and learn ( I guess).

9. guitarsnguns04

guitarsnguns04 Member

beware of eddy currents...lol

10. nitehawk55

nitehawk55 Member

Rusty tranny = reliced amp :)

11. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I have never seen where rust ever helped anything except for the browning of gun parts which browning and blueing is a controled rust process to help preserve the metal. Maybe Mercury does not coat their trannies so they rust, so they came up with that story so folks would not worry if they got a rusty tranny. Just a guess on my part as I never have seen a Mercury Tranny. Like I said this is a guess on my part so if I am wrong ok.

12. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

They coat them as well as everyone else. I've never found a single brand that didn't rust. The Mercury FAQ is pretty correct.

13. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

i would think if nothing else, rust would be conductive between wraps. That can't be good.

14. brad347

brad347 Member

Iron oxide is non-conductive.

15. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

OK that shoots that theory LOL