Rusty pickups...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Aussie Mike, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Aussie Mike

Aussie Mike Member

Hey guys,

I've had my PRS HBII in its case for about 8 months.. (I was out of the country). The screws on the neck pick up are rusting. The bridge pick up is fine. I have a feeling it might have been made worse becuase of the residude from some stuff I used to try and clean the pickups (which didn't work).

Any ideas for how to clean the rust up and to prevent it spreading??

Cheers,

Mike

2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I'm not sure how to get it off. But try to keep the guitar in an enviroment that has about 45% relative humidity to prevent rusting.

3. MichaelX

MichaelX Member

I live in Japan so I have that problem pretty regularly. I very carefully clean it off with fine grain sand paper.

4. Aussie Mike

Aussie Mike Member

Thanks for the advice guys.

I don't have any control over the humidity so I'm going to have to go with the good old DO NOT EATS... and get rid of the rust I have with sand paper.

THanks again

Mike

5. BradKM

BradKM Member

You need to be very careful if you attempt this method. You don't want any rust, filings, or other debris to make their way into the pickup's coils or the guitar's other electronics.

If you're going to attempt it, mask off as much as you can with tape, then make a reverse "catch cup" of tape with the sticky side facing up...with as much of that as close to the poles as you can get.

Use a Scotch Brite pad or very fine grain sandpaper...no steel wool.

Finally, when you're done, carefully brush a little clear nail polish over each pole piece to keep them from rusting again.

6. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

are they covered humbuckers? if you're only getting rust on the screws (not the pole slugs - you wouldn't see those on covered humbuckers) then you can just replace the screws. Cheap fix and a lot easier than sanding.

i believe www.stewmac.com or www.allparts.com have the screws.

7. Aussie Mike

Aussie Mike Member

Yeh, they're covered, and it's just the screws! Good idea Geoff, and thanks for the links. Brad kinda scared me too, so i think that's the way to go for sure!

8. BradKM

BradKM Member

Didn't mean to scare you...I just wanted you to know what you could potentially be getting into.

One other little piece of information that I forgot to add:

The polepieces are magnetic (duh!) so most of the debris that you sand or scrape off will stick to them. You then have to take another piece of very sticky tape and apply it over the pickup face to pull the rust and other particles off of the poles.

Luckily, you won't have to do that since you can just replace the screws...but I thought I'd throw it in for anyone else thinking of cleaning up old rusty pickups.