Ruts - rhythm, lead and chords

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by whsdhs1, Feb 6, 2012.

1. whsdhs1

whsdhs1 Supporting Member

I have been writings songs for our band and man I am getting in some ruts. My rhythm playing, leads and even the chords I keep going back to are the same. It is soo frustrating.

How do you get out of your ruts?

2. mleggett

mleggett Member

I find using an open tuning, like D, changes the voicings on the chords and pushes me in new directions.

3. Seraphine

Seraphine Member

In this case... maybe try listening.. and thereby composing.. incidental music for tv shows and films etc... Take note of atmosphere and mood / feeling... scary... suspense... mystical etc... and try composing to like intentions...

I notice you didn't mention lyrics. Are you doing lyrics as good and well? If so I imagine you have no problems with them. I don't know what "kind" of music you are writing, but maybe stretching the tunes out and filling them with more adventure and journeys might help... ( maybe various time signatures in one tune? )

A riff - verse - chorus - verse - solo - chorus - ( + or - ) Coda etc.. can get very boring. Writing on ONE RIFF and trying to wrap it with something to make a song is also very, very boring and only a few tunes need that form, rather than that trick and formula which is so often abused, take a journey into trying to find what's IN the piece you're composing... I'm not claiming this applies to your situation.. just a reminder of not settling for slacking...

Patience.. Active Patience works.

Don't know if any of this helps man lol... Hope you get out of the rut though... and quicksmart! Otherwise.... I guess you can spend some time pondering a concept album and tunes and music for it? Don't know... but Good Luck!

4. Guitarchitecture

Guitarchitecture Member

Well one way to break out of ruts is to get out of your comfort zone.

Try learning songs by artists completely outside of genres or music you normally listen to. When I first heard Marty Friedman play, I really dug some of his ideas and that got me seeking out Japanese folk music and arabic music - which lead me into all sorts of interesting musical directions. Listening to Japanese Koto music for example completely changed the way I approach rhythm guitar.

Also, try learning vocal lines from any style on guitar - but really work on specific phrasing and nuances.

Good Luck!

5. Sykes

Sykes Member

Maybe have some of the other guys in your band help you out? I am currently writing as well, and I find that sometimes when I get stuck, I bring forth what I have worked on to the other guys, and they always seem to hear things or maybe have an idea of what could go where. Sometimes an outside opinion can really help.