• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

RV-3 warmer/more natural than RV-5?

naveed211

I'm in the market for a new reverb pedal, and part of me is considering going to an all-Boss board. Don't know what it is, but the SD-1 and DD-7 combo have been working for me.

I tried the RV-5 and it didn't seem very warm or natural to me, so I was wondering if the RV-3 is any better with that. I also like that the RV-3 has a delay option as sometimes I like to play with some delay for looping (through the DD-7 hold mode).

Basically, I just want a reverb that isn't noisy and sounds good, versatility is nice but with my style these days I don't need anything too crazy.

JScaster

I would not describe the Rv3 as warm sounding...it's very digital as expected.

It sounds really good tough for shoegaze,post rock kinda sounds.It's a really cool pedal.

Coldacre

it's a great pedal, but warm is not a word to describe it.

now the T Rex Room Mate..... that's a warm reverb....

crxshdxmmy

The RV-3 is one of my favorite Boss boxes, but it is not "warm" or terribly "natural" sounding IMO.

woolyh

Unless you need trails, try an RV2. Very warm sounding. I think you'll love it.
+1 on the RV-2, hidden gem IMO, very subtle/natural sounding compared to the RV-3 or RV-5 which sound overtly digital if used for a lot of reverb.

That said I own all 3 plus the Boss FRV-1 and they all find their uses, RV-2 for natural sounding plate reverb, RV-3 for big spacey reverb and the RV-5 has a cool modulated reverb plus the hall reverb ain't bad.

RV-3 = awesome, but definitely not warm or natural. It's more cold and digital than Max Headroom's bedroom.

That said, I've decided I like the EQD Dispatch Master more than the RV-3. It's not as versatile, but for what I do, it just sounds better.

I also LOVE the EQD Ghost Echo.

tremolo3

Haven't tried the RV5 but the RV3 is the least natural reverb/delay pedal I've ever had, and I love it!

Drak

I still have an RV-2 I bought new in '88 and it sits right next to my W.E.T. now, a great combo.
You can roll the pre-EQ control back until it's pretty warm and analog sounding IMO.
...But there's no battery option with it if that means anything to you.

Woody777

I love the mod on the RV-5 as an effect. But I don't think it makes the best always on natural reverb.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom