RV50 Head through THD 2x12?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by andylikesapples, Jan 8, 2008.

1. andylikesapples

andylikesapples Member

I'm looking to break loose from the shackles of amp-modelling and lousy valve-imitating, and I'm looking at the Orange RV-50 head for spiritual enlightenment and tonal possibilities.

Has anyone tried running one of these through a THD cab? Can it be done? Or are the V30s in the Orange all I'd need?

Cheers,
    Andy

2. trpullen

trpullen Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Orange PPC212 with V30s is really nice.

3. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

I didn't think it was crucial running a cab with v30s for the RV. I ended up liking cl80s with it a bit better.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

My favorite speakers with my RV50 are G12-65's, Reissue Greenbacks, Scumback H75-HP, and Eminence GB12's. I've tried just about everything else....except for a SB M75-HP which is next. This amp rocks hard!

5. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I own a RV50H and like the Orange PPC212 cab, but I've also played it through a THD cab and it sounds great, you don't get quite the bottom end but the sound isn't so focused (spreads around the room). I'm a fan of Orange cabs, love the tight bottom and the smoothness of the V30's. I also love the THD cabs for their weight and sound, I only wish they would make them in custom colors! (like Orange)

6. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

the RV-50 is a great sounding head. you oculd definitely run it into THD 2x12 cab, just connect the cab to the proper ohm load jack(which if I recall is 8 ohms with the THD - check to verify).

Are you talking about getting the cab in addition to a RV-50 combo? or just using a head with the THD cab?

page 6 of this manual should give you the info you need.
    http://www.orangeamps.com/images/manuals/Rockerverb Owners Manual.pdf

7. andylikesapples

andylikesapples Member

Basically, I'm just doing my homework so I save myself buying and selling cabs. I would naturally have just gone for the Orange 2x12 (PPC212), but I became aware of bad noise in the forum about the V30s. I was just wondering whether it's merely down to preference or whether the THD cabs are actually better. I'm looking at getting the head and cab separately...

Thanks for the wisdom!

8. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

v-30s have always done me well, and especially mated with an orange head. I've only ever liked the rocker*(verb) series through a cab with v-30s. Also nothing looks quite like an orange head and cab mated up. Its a thing of pure beauty.

9. andylikesapples

andylikesapples Member

Could you do a sort of mismatch thing? Like a V30 and a G12-65 in a 2x12 cab, to get the best of both worlds?

10. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Yep, you can do anything you want. Not a bad idea.

11. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I found V30's to really drag down the clean channel when I had the RV50. they sounded great with the gain channel. I liked CL80's and G12H30's with my RV50. I didn't have any G1265's at the time :(

12. andylikesapples

andylikesapples Member

Hey guys, thanks heaps for the Infinite Wisdom! It's been a huge help in keeping tonal delinquents like myself clear from making expensive mistakes...

13. vchizzle

vchizzle Supporting Member

Yeah, there are certainly haters of all speakers. V30's get brought up quite a bit because their so common. Some guys really hate 'em, others won't use anything else. So you gotta just take it for what it is - personal preference. Vintage 30's have worked great for me in the majority of my instances. The only amp I've disliked V30's with is a THD Univalve and Fender amps. Typically "British" amps do pretty well with them. Not to say you might find something that works better. Orange cabs are awesome for "THE" Orange tone. But you might be after something a bit different. Try out what you can. Go with your gut.

What style do you play? and maybe what sonic character do you wanna hear(chimey, tight thumping bass, big and open) - what are ya after?

14. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I just got a Rockerverb and Orange 2X12 with V30s and really like it.V30s are not the first speaker I think of for cleans but they're fine for tone I'm after with the Orange. The RV is really fun/inspiring amp for me especially blues,funk,rock it keeps me goin'. I'm experimenting with some different tubes now but so far everything sounds good. Outta the last three 6V6 amps, the RV is the best yet and has good reverb also. RV has some excellent Hendrix tones also. So far for me is a definate keeper.