Ry Cooder, Sharon White & Ricky Skaggs last night

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
Saw them at the Ponte Vedra Concert hall, a really nice 500-seat venue. Sharon's sister sang harmonies, while their father, Buck White (not looking near his 85 years) played smokin' piano, and Ry's son, Joachim played drums.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
Tommy Emmanuel is doing two nights there in April. Must see.

bagpipe

Any slide guitar magic on display by Cooder? That tour is coming here but Ry Cooder is the only one that interests me, and only if he's playing lots of slide.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
Any slide guitar magic on display by Cooder? That tour is coming here but Ry Cooder is the only one that interests me, and only if he's playing lots of slide.
Some slide, not "a lot". See the first video. If you're not into great musical collaboration and singing on Gospel and real Country music, you may want to pass.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
Ricky on high harmony: Buck and the girls...family-style harmony: Ricky putting some 'stank' on mando:

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
I saw them twice in one weekend in October. By the end of the second show I saw I was craving me some Ry Cooder music and some slide work.

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
For me, Cooder just has his thing. Listening to the solo in the first clip, it's not that it so technically brilliant or extremely precise, but he just has this whatever it is - a voice, a certain touch, a kind of "I-couldn't-care-less-what-any-thinks-free-spirited" sloppiness - that totally appeals to me. Derek Trucks, Sonny Landreth, etc. are brilliant players, and I don't mean to start a competition, but Cooder has this extra dimension that I just love. Reminds a bit of listening to the Pizza Tapes with Grisma, Garcia and Rice. Rice has this razor-sharp precision in his playing, but Garcia, though downright sloppy in comparison, is just so much more interesting. YMMV, and all that, of course.
I get what you are saying. I saw Steve Morse and Albert Lee play at NAMM show (in Chicago, if that tells you how long ago) and I felt that, despite Steve's virtuosity,Albert had so much more soul.
(Not sure if I agree w you about Tony Rice's salt of the earth playing but to each his own)

Pickaxe

Saw this tour over the summer and came away thinking Buck White is maybe the best honkytonk/whorehouse piano player out there today.

Great show.

Guitar55

Who was that masked man?
Gold Supporting Member
@Guitar55 - thanks for the videos, by the way. Speaking of which, did you happen to record Walking in Jerusalem? I assume they played that one as I can see Ricky's red Tele on stage.
I didn't get that one unfortunately. Sorry

Suave Eddie

I saw them last summer. I would go to any show with a Ry Cooder collaboration. Back in '83 I went to a show for someone I'd never heard of only because Ry Cooder was mentioned as part of the band. I've been an extreme John Hiatt fan ever since.
The current lineup with Skaggs, etc. was very entertaining. The vocals were tremendous and Ry did get to cut loose a little bit here and there.

Thinsocks

Silver Supporting Member
Saw them last summer and I'm going to see them tomorrow at the Ryman. Like others have mentioned, it's an ensemble and not the Ry Cooder show. Still, I felt it was a treat to hear Ry play live since he's not been gigging much the last 20 years. And there is a lot to learn from hearing Ry back someone up.

zac

I saw them last year in Knoxville, and am seeing them again tonight at the Ryman here in Nashville. It is not the Ry Cooder show, so don't expect "Crazy About an Automobile" or "Jesus on the Mainline." This is Ry immersing himself into Hillbilly and Gospel music, just like he has done in the past with Tejano and Cuban music. He does get to rip some, but this gig is more about taste than flash. It is a killer show, and this is the first time in my 40+ years that I have ever seen anyone twice in a 1-year period.

Thinsocks

Silver Supporting Member
Same here. I went to the Knoxville show last year and going to the Ryman tonight. First time in a long time I've seen someone twice in less then a year that wasn't a local guy.

beanbass

I did some picking with the Whites a few years back at the Joe Val Bluegrass Festival in Framingham, MA. Buck sang & played mando while the girls sang harmonies behind us. It was glorious - their voices were comforting, like getting a massage.

Trending Topics