Ryan Adams Dangled Success

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Hokiechris, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

He was convicted? Interesting.

Oh you mean people assessed the information presented about the situation and made a judgment call? Yeah I guess so. Question, would you be comfortable with a woman you know working with him on an album at his studio? I mean at least until the trial is over, right?

2. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

So the guys are still gonna insist we keep ‘69 in the set list tonite? I beg you - is there no end to this torment!!??

el capitan and keefsdad like this.
  3. billboneys

billboneys Supporting Member

...apparently that's not all he dangled.

*EDIT* :rimshot

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    el capitan likes this.
  4. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

So hilarious. Can't believe you're the first person in 23 pages...oh wait you weren't.

Rob303, teleking36, Peanut73 and 7 others like this.
  5. billboneys

billboneys Supporting Member

Well I'll admit I'd never read 23 pages of anything much less about Ryan Adams.

el capitan, Andres6and8 and Gasp100 like this.
  6. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

It was lame the first time too. You join a Dad forum, you get Dad quality humor. ;)

teleking36 and Seth L like this.
  7. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Didn't need these accusations to know that. Just asking literally anyone who has ever played with the guy: Whiskeytown members, the Cardinals, his revolving door of backup musicians before, after, and in between those groups. He's always been an insufferable, self-important prick. Hell, he's admitted to as much repeatedly. That didn't stop me from enjoying his music. Unfortunately, this story does. Him being a dick to girlfriends/wives and trying to sleeze his way into bed with women, while all make him a ****** person, would not have deterred me from listening to his music. Unfortunately, the stuff about the teenage girl does. As much as some people will say "separate the artist and the art," his music is so autobiographical, that doing so is virtually impossible for me, at least for the time being.

For everyone saying "due process, etc." lets stop and ask ourselves a couple of things:

1. What do any of these women have to gain from slamming him? This is Ryan Adams, not Justin Timberlake. While he's famous, he's not that famous. If you believe in some conspiracy cabal of women who are out to destroy famous men, I can think of a lot more high-value targets than Ryan ****ing Adams of all random people.

2. Assuming you give him the benefit of the doubt and say that the majority of these women are bitter ex-girlfriends and an ex-wife, how do you rationalize away the anonymous now 20 year old girl and her texts. 3,217 texts is an awful random number to make up, and an easily disproven one if the NYT don't have the proof to back it up.

3. AND even if you want to be skeptical of the NYT's reporting, again, what does an anonymous 20 something have to gain by trashing Adams? Absolutely nothing. Hell, we don't even know her name. What does she have to lose if her name gets out? Everything.

He can have his due process and presumption of innocence in court, but he doesn't deserve it from us. The guy's own friends and collaborators have even come out and said "Yep, that sounds about right to us." None of this passes the smell test. I adored his music too. I listened to him nearly every week for the last 15-20 years (whenever it was Heartbreaker came out). But I'm not going to do mental gymnastics to rationalize this story away, and neither should anyone else.

8. drpeacock

drpeacock Member

Two more words: Duke Lacrosse.

9. drpeacock

drpeacock Member

As I posted earlier, I don't even hear many hooks. Some, a handful of songs, but he's extremely over rated to me. And yeah, lyrics are pretty vanilla.

MikeFM likes this.
  10. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I've only ever heard his acoustic cover of Wasted Years... pretty good.

Rob303 likes this.
  11. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Jian Ghomeshi? The court of law found him not guilty, that's true. But that doesn't mean he is (or isn't). Let me rephrase that. In the eyes of the law, he is not guilty, but that doesn't mean he didn't do the crime(s) he was on trial for. To be completely diplomatic, that doesn't mean he's guilty either.

But once a bunch of lawyers (and in this case Ghomeshi paid for one of the top lawyers in the country) get through with a witness, insisting that they remember irrelevant and minute details from years ago, they can do wonders on the credibility of the true victims.

Does that mean that men have never been falsely accused by women of this sort of thing ever before? Absolutely not. But I don't have such an unflinching trust in the law, that I think that a guilty or innocent verdict means that someone is or isn't guilty.

Put it this way, If I had a daughter I wouldn't let her even in the same room as Ghomeshi or Adams. Others may feel differently.

marktweedy, Tabor and rumbletone like this.
  12. DrSax

DrSax Member

Definitely wouldn't be a "run to you" situation.

EricPeterson likes this.
  13. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

Jenny Lewis I thought of too - IIRC he produced the last album (which was great IMO) and he was involved in some capacity in the new one that will be released soon (at least a contributor/co-writer - don’t know who produced it?). She seems established enough that perhaps the balance of power wasn’t so lopsided?

14. MikeFM

MikeFM Member

Well said. Your point have been mine from the get go. If you want the cash and fame, go after Spielberg, or Springsteen, or some of the major league player. But they can't because Spielberg and Springsteen aren't texting 14 year old girls.

15. jerrycampbell

jerrycampbell Member

I'm hoping to hear more material mining the Bryan Adams/Ryan Adams vein.
    So fresh, so new!

Digitalshrub likes this.
  16. Shnook

Shnook Member

Well, I am a woman who’s been playing music with men for quite a while now. I carry myself in a way that makes it clear I’m not open for sexual advances so I’ve never had this issue. Would I work with RA at this moment? Probably not. I’m not into drama and this guy clearly has issues. Not my thing. Would I want any of my female friends working with him? That’s up to them to decide, especially with all of these allegations. At this point though, his career is in serious trouble and sadly I see no benefit of attaching his name to anyone else’s music or project.

I’m a fan of some of RA’s music. I’ve got at least 6 of his CDs/records. I was looking forward to purchasing his new releases this year. I’m not going to stop listening to his music because of all of this.

I don’t care about what his ex-wife, ex-fiancé, other women have to say about Adam’s personal behavior. They didn’t like it and left him. Good for them. He sounds like an unsavory mental job to me but that’s not a crime. Again, the legal issue here is with the sexting with an underage girl. Being that she’s the only one to come forward who was under age, this doesn’t seem like a case of him seeking out 14 year olds. However, the fact that he was married at the time of this communication does say something of his character. I would venture to guess that since he continued to ask about her age he had some idea that she was in fact under 18. So that puts him in a dangerous spot should this go further and into an arrest and trial.

That said, he hasn’t been arrested and ‘dangling success’ to women isn’t a crime. All of these companies dropping him and pulling his record is overreacting imho. Now, if proof of him actively seeking out under age girls for sexual encounters appears, that’s a whole different ball of wax as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    claudel, Nivs, plisken and 12 others like this.
  17. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

For me - as a father of 2 girls, and whose played in enough bands and seen all kinds of behaviour backstage and on the road and in studios - it’s not always a bright line. I’ve played with guys who to my knowledge have done nothing illegal but who I wouldn’t want my daughters anywhere near. And there may even be convicted criminals who I’d be ok with them working with.

I think Ryan Adams is a great songwriter, but even before these allegations it was clear to me that he has a lot of issues, some of which may be entirely of his own making, and I’d have been surprised to learn he wasn’t the way he’s characterized in the article/allegations. I do think there is a clear line between ‘being a total creep who uses power to get women and doesn’t respect them’ and ‘criminal acts with underage women’ - but whatever side of the line he falls on I am still confident that I wouldn’t put my daughter on a plane to meet him for a songwriting or recording session.

EricPeterson likes this.
  18. jhspedals.com

jhspedals.com Gold Supporting Member

Me dropping his endorsement in no way convicts him or makes any statement other than JHS no longer wishes to be tied. I make pedals, that's it. I had to make this decision based on protecting the well being of my 25 employees and their feelings toward this, many of them female. I stand by the decision.

19. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

Never heard anything he had done. Singer songwriter type I gather?

20. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

Confuse the audience by covering Ryan Adams covering Bryan Adams.

MoarGear and ned7flat5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.