Ryan Adams: Will "Gimme Something Good" get him on Top 40?

cbmccarthy

Wasn't he on Top 40 years ago with "New York, New York" when Gold was released?

Concerning the new song, no, I don't think it has "it" even though it's a good one.

BedroomRockStar01

Silver Supporting Member
Wasn't he on Top 40 years ago with "New York, New York" when Gold was released?
Not in the U.S. (according to Wikipedia), but he's had much greater success in Europe.

And to the original question, I doubt it, but I wish him all the success in the world.

It's really tough for guitar based music to make into the top 40 these days. I mean who is there? Kings of Leon? Arcade Fire? Maroon 5?

Ryan Adams has tons of great tunes, but I'm not sure he's going to make it in top 40 radio - that's not a bad thing.

GrooveSkipInc

It's really tough for guitar based music to make into the top 40 these days. I mean who is there? Kings of Leon? Arcade Fire? Maroon 5?

Ryan Adams has tons of great tunes, but I'm not sure he's going to make it in top 40 radio - that's not a bad thing.
Foo Fighters? Jack White? Imagine Dragons? Black Keys?

2HBStrat

It's really tough for guitar based music to make into the top 40 these days. I mean who is there? Kings of Leon? Arcade Fire? Maroon 5?.....
Daft Punk and Bruno Mars use quite a bit of guitar.

......Ryan Adams has tons of great tunes, but I'm not sure he's going to make it in top 40 radio - that's not a bad thing.
True, but OTOH who wouldn't want to be in the Top 40? It just means that a whole lot of people like your song well enough to buy it! What artist would avoid that?

speakerjones

Few deserve it as much as he does. He's got talent, work ethic, and he's prolific. I don't really see it happening though. At least not with this tune.

airportbar

Personally, I think the current single is kind of bland. He's capable of far more catchier stuff, as he's shown in the past, so I just don't see this as being "the one."

Also, he was on radio and TV quite a bit during the Gold-days ("New York, New York" right after 9/11, and then "Answering Bell" with Adam Duritz and Elton John in the video) so I think his brass-ring grabbing days may be behind him.

That said, he makes good money touring, and I'm sure the Tim McGraw and Corrs covers helped a boatload, so he's probably comfortable where he is. IMHO and all that jazz.

jayn

No....but, someday, he will release a "greatest hits" record that will sell a zillion copies.

Rumors of War

Silver Supporting Member
That's a sad commentary for popular guitar music. Yeesh, I wouldn't want to be lumped in with that crapola. Seems Ryan Adams is just fine wherever it is that he musically resides.

Staticbuster

Who know if Ryan really wants to chart in the Top 40? I mean, look at his position: He owns his own label, and gets to basically make whatever records he wants. Financially he should be ok, as long as he isn't living above his means. He has a very devoted fan base, and can make good money touring and doing limited edition releases. His health is fragile so he has to be careful there. Now, think about the grind that goes along with being a top "star"....why, if in his shoes, would you want that? I'd pass.

Teleking

Silver Supporting Member
No....but, someday, he will release a "greatest hits" record that will sell a zillion copies.
If he released a "greatest hits" it would have to be a box set.

None are hits, but all should've been. I once counted how many of the songs he's written that I truly like. It was 122. I can't say that about anyone else.

Bieling3

Yeah, Jack White and Black Keys - I should have mentioned them to. Still, there's a pretty small group of what I would call guitar centric music in the top 40.
Same as it ever was.

CASEY KASEM’S AMERICAN TOP 40 - 9/8/84

LW#1: WHAT'S LOVE GOT TO DO WITH IT - TINA TURNER
40: BOP 'TIL YOU DROP - RICK SPRINGFIELD
39: ARE WE OURSELVES - FIXX
38: ONLY WHEN YOU LEAVE - SPANDAU BALLET
37: I'M SO EXCITED - THE POINTER SISTERS
36: CARIBBEAN QUEEN - BILLY OCEAN
35: SEXY GIRL - GLENN FREY
34: GO INSANE - LINDSAY BUCKINGHAM
33: THERE GOES MY BABY - DONNA SUMMER
32: SAD SONGS (SAY SO MUCH) - ELTON JOHN