Ryan Adams

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kleio, May 23, 2015.

1. Kleio

Kleio Supporting Member

I saw Ryan Adams last night at the Wells Fargo Center in Santa Rosa. My wife wasn't into it so I went alone. He played for two hours and put on a great show. Great song after great song; he was very impressive. Aside from the uncomfortable moments when he was sarcastically attacking certain members of the audience, it was a memorable concert. Great guitar tones and playing from Ryan and the other guitarist. Has anyone else seen him on his current tour?

2. jawajt

jawajt Member

Saw him in December with Jenny Lewis. Awesome sets from both bands. Yes, his tone is amazing! As far as I know he only uses two Fender Princetons for amps. I think puts them inside the GIANT fake one he has on stage. Did he have the arcade games on stage too? His new album is excellent.

buddaman71 likes this.
  3. mapleneck72

mapleneck72 Supporting Member

I was at the show last night as well and had a great time.
    The last time I saw him was in 2001 at GAMH.
    Lots of funny banter but I think the only thing that was mean spirited was to the guy who yelled Summer of 69.
    "You don't need to take an IQ test because you know it's below 70!"
    The arcade games and Dr. Pepper machine on the right of the stage were a nice touch.

Did you like the opening band?
    Turns out Wardell are the son and daughter of Steven Spielberg.
    I don't know if that was a ground loop or his amp needed to be serviced.

[​IMG]

4. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

People need to stop that, the joke is old and tired and just effing stupid. Just stop.

mapleneck72 likes this.
  5. Kleio

Kleio Supporting Member

I thought the opening band was fine. I like her voice, reminded me a little bit of Eddie Brickle (sp). They seemed young, sweet, and in the learning phase of song writing and performing, quite the opposite of Ryan Adams.

As far as the 'summer of 69' stuff goes, I agree that it's lame and tired. But, I thought RA could have moved right past it easily. In fact, he started to make a few light hearted jokes about it and then he just went off. "you paid $60 just to prove you're an asshole. you're iq is below 70" etc. I don't disagree with him, the guy in the audience was a jerk, but why give him any juice? It seemed like his mood turned from that point forward to a place of nastiness and disdain for the audience. I have to admit that it did not affect the performance of his songs at all.

I loved his guitar tone, playing, and choice of guitars. Often times I can't tell much difference in tone when artists switch guitars. With R. Adams, his choice of guitars really matched each song very well, and all of them sounded amazing through his dual Princeton rig.

6. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Actually, it is funny. When I saw him, he was pretty drunk onstage and went ballistic when someone shouted it.

7. Creighton

Creighton Member

I'm sure the Bryan Adams jokes are annoying but his penchant for stopping the show to react is exactly why people keep doing it. He did the same thing on his stop in my city. What you resist persists, Bryan. I mean Ryan.

8. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

I saw him in Vancouver last October. He was one of the most nervous, wound performers I have seen. He expressed, to the audience, displeasure at lighting, monitors and included a long tirade at his guitar tech for good measure. Despite all of this it was a great show because he is a stellar musician with a great repertoire of songs.

9. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Why do people pull this sort of sh!t at gigs? What the hell is the point?

10. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

It brings out the axl rose diva in ryan adams. Some folks love his overreaction and spectacle.

peskypesky likes this.
  11. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

That's what makes it stupid and juvenile. If he didn't react, some d-bags would keep yelling it. People started doing this when he went solo over 15 years ago. Give it a rest already.

12. Teleking

Teleking Supporting Member

It's just ridiculously stupid that people continue to do it. What is the point? Why do you want to piss off the guy that you just paid a lot of money to see, fought through traffic, fought for a parking spot, all to be a dumbass and piss off the guy who you came to see so he gives you a poor performance? What is the point of that? Why would anyone want to anger the person they spent all this money and energy to see and ruin a show?

Can you imagine what it must be like for RA? It annoys me every time I read it in these threads. I can't imagine having to hear it every damn night. It has to be beyond frustrating.

I know people say, "Ryan shouldn't react." What if you had to hear this every single night you played? My guess is it would piss you off pretty bad as well.

The crowd needs to start to turn on these idiots. That's what needs to happen. If the people surrounding these dolts would turn on them, I bet this BS would stop pretty quick.

13. Teleking

You find it funny? What an awful world we live in. People get enjoyment out of watching people melt down. That's "funny."

14. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Yes, it is funny that such a successful entertainer cannot ignore something very silly. He instead loses his cool and starts a mini circus. Other artists who I used enjoy live but acted the fool onstage no longer appeal to me, in terms of a concert experience.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    peskypesky likes this.
  15. Teleking

I think this says a lot about you.

chistov likes this.
  16. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

I agree some artists are prima donnas. He has a history of sparring with the audience. That being said, he has played covers of Summer of 69, acoustic solo and Run to You, live in the recent years(check Utoob), as he has met Bryan Adams and has a cordial relationship with him. It's his way of diffusing it, so he should expect the request once in awhile.

As an aside, check his acoustic version of Wasted Years by Iron Maiden online. Just gorgeous!

17. archey

archey Member

I wonder if he regrets not just going by David Adams. As a side note I go to Bryan Adams concerts and shout "Come pick me up" and it gets a laugh every time.

jog likes this.
  18. BrewDrinkRepeat

BrewDrinkRepeat Member

Just because he reacts to it (and who wouldn't after the umpteen-thousandth time????) doesn't mean it's not complete douchenoodlery to do it. And if you find it funny, that's a pretty sad reflection on you, not him.

19. ClassicLP

ClassicLP Member

Thank you for making it personal, which says a lot about you. It is a rock show. People shout all kinds of stuff. Some artists roll with it, and others handle it poorly. Yes, it is a laugh riot that somone blows his top over something so petty when so many real problems plague us. That being said, heckling is sad and rude but almost inevitable. A heckler may annoy a performer, but an annoyed, out of control performer ruins it for everyone. RA should ignore it and play the tunes everyone loves.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  20. Kleio

Kleio Supporting Member

I think several things are true at the same time. The people who purposefully antagonize performers are a-holes. I don't think there's much argument there. I think it's equally true that Ryan Adams in particular handles those situations about as poorly as he can. I witnessed it on friday night, one jerk yelled "summer of 69" and RA went south from that point forward. Frankly, he came off like an arrogant jerk himself. That being said, when he comes back to town, I'll probably buy a ticket because his music is so f-ing good.