Ryan Adams

Tinman

I'm a big fan of nearly all of his work, including Rock & Roll. Halloweenhead is an anomaly. Not characteristic of a bulk of his music at all.

B_of_H

i like heartbreaker the most by far. it has the best songs and emmylou, gillian welsh and david rawlings...which can't be beat as far as i'm concerned.

his melody is very strong which really makes his lyrics much more impressive. Good lyrics + strong melody = great songs.

B Vance

Cold Roses is my favorite album. I love his concerts too. He allows taping so you can find hundreds of full concerts at archive.org

rainmaker

Cold Roses if you like that Dead vibe, which I do.

That's the thing about him live, you never know what you're going to get. I saw him do an acoustic show back in 03 or 04 and Elton John came out, played two songs, and walked off and it was barely acknowledged.

chervokas

Haha... count me among those who still love "Rock n Roll". :)

The songs are definitely not as strong as most of his other work, but that album always manages to put a smile on my face. And sometimes that's all that is required.

I like Rock N Roll too...Note to Self: Don't Die is great! The one(s) I can't abide is (are) Love is Hell. I also find that I never listen to 29, tho I never disliked it the way I disliked Love is Hell.

I'm also not the huge Heartbreaker fan that the rest of the Ryan Adams crew here seems to be. I'd take 4 or maybe 5 Ryan Adams records ahead of it to a desert island (Gold, Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights and Demolition at the very least).

teleking36

Silver Supporting Member
Ryan Adams is my hero....

Seriously, he's one of my biggest influences and is an absolutely incredible talent. His songwriting is fantastic, and his voice has opened up akin to a nice vintage acoustic. If you listen to the Whiskeytown stuff (which I equally adore) and his latest release with the Cardinals, Cardinology, you'll know what I mean.

He also plays a mean guitar, and has a great collection of gear, including various blackface princeton reverbs, his #1 guitar, Peanut, which I believe is a late 60s ES-355 and roars...between him and Neal Casal, those two come up with some amazing guitar arrangements.

I think Love Is Hell is vastly underrated. While it's on the darker end of his catalog, the songwriting is top notch, and the production is easily in the Top 3 of any of his albums. Listen to 'The Shadowlands' at the end of Love Is Hell Part 1 and prepare to have your mind blown.

I can't wait until he gets back into the game. I miss his proliferation and moreso what he had begun to do with the Cardinals. They were really grooving before they disbanded.

chervokas

I think Love Is Hell is vastly underrated. While it's on the darker end of his catalog, the songwriting is top notch, and the production is easily in the Top 3 of any of his albums.

Well, I love Ryan Adams too. And I don't mind dark, depressing music. I like Nick Drake and Richard Thompson after all. And a lot of RA fans here seem to actually like Love is Hell! I find it pretty much literally unlistable--I'd characterize it as tuneless, strung-out, self-absorbed emo. Ugh. The DoD should categorize listening to it as an enhanced interogation technique! <g>

But Ryan Adams seems to have tried on enough styles to suit a range of tastes.

opdev

Silver Supporting Member
First -- Whiskeytown's "Stranger's Almanac" -- Ryan's band before going solo, and a true Alt. Country classic. One of the genre's best.

Second -- Ryan Adam's "Heartbreaker" -- all that is great about Ryan can be found on this CD. Having Emmylou Harris and Gillian Welch singing backup on this incredible collection of songs doesn't hurt, either.

YES to #1.

haslar

Doesn anyone know what gear is used to produce those wonderful tones on the song "If I am a Stranger" ?

I'm talking about the electric guitar that plays mainly arpeggios and chords, along with quite a bit of whammy bar abuse, in a surf-like way.

I first thought it sounded like some Gretsch semi-hollow into a Vox, but I've used the Search function and it appears Ryan uses an ES335 into a Princeton Reverb.
I'm not sure who actually plays those parts, but man, do they sound great !!

Any idea?

ezyrydr

Doesn anyone know what gear is used to produce those wonderful tones on the song "If I am a Stranger" ?

I'm talking about the electric guitar that plays mainly arpeggios and chords, along with quite a bit of whammy bar abuse, in a surf-like way.

I first thought it sounded like some Gretsch semi-hollow into a Vox, but I've used the Search function and it appears Ryan uses an ES335 into a Princeton Reverb.

Any idea?

I think you're right about the Gretsch actually. That song is on Cold Roses and Ryan and his other guitarist (JP Bowersock) at the time both played Gretschs all over that album. A White Falcon and a Black Falcon.
As for amps, he's pretty much used the Princeton exclusively for years but you never know in the studio.

reddgeetarzan

Gold Supporting Member

Any idea?

That Gibson is actually an early 70's ('72, I think??) ES355....I love the tone he gets on pretty much everything!

Neil Casal gets some very nice sounds too....

teleguido

I think you're right about the Gretsch actually. That song is on Cold Roses and Ryan and his other guitarist (JP Bowersock) at the time both played Gretschs all over that album. A White Falcon and a Black Falcon.
As for amps, he's pretty much used the Princeton exclusively for years but you never know in the studio.

Interesting! I love the guitar sounds on that song (and the rest of Cold Roses). Never knew they were made with a Gretsch, but it certainly makes sense.

Did you guy's hear Ryan Adams is planning to release 2 more new albums before the end of the year? I am excited!

Top Bottom