Ryan ( not Bryan) Adams....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by murph7489, Aug 2, 2018.

1. murph7489

murph7489 Member

Here is the story of an artist that a lot of people in the mainstream really haven't figured out yet...I know like one or two people that I call friends that have even heard of Ryan Adams. He has been flying under the radar for a while...Why isn't this guy like huge.? I don't get it..is there so much music out there that sometimes an artist flies under the radar...This guy should be a household name is what I am saying..I guess and wondering why he isn't...

My introduction to him came in about or around 2006 through Phil Lesh..I guess, maybe a little earlier, nevertheless It didn't really take hold at first. However I went back to it..and that's when it hit me..His music isn't what I would call, run of the mill stuff or really mainstream like, but there is something about it...Something really gravitational about it...one of them guys that most every song I hear I think to myself..wow another great song.. anyway I was wondering was how Ryan Adams' rates on the gear page....( if you can make it here, you can make it anywhere)

808, Fab4ever, T92780 and 4 others like this.
  2. tonewoody

tonewoody Member

Do a search, he rates pretty well on TGP.

Personally, I like what I've heard of his material. I appreciate his seemingly natural talent, songwriting chops and overall vibe.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    T92780 likes this.
  3. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Gets a lot of love here.

He consistently puts out great work, and I think he last 2 records are his best.

T92780 likes this.
  4. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I don’t know if I’d call him under the radar or not mainstream.

I’m a fan, but he’s has been pretty big for a while. I think?

marktweedy and T92780 like this.
  5. Ides of March

Ides of March Member

I really like Ryan. He did an acoustic version of Wasted Years (Iron Maiden) which was really cool. I have 3 of his records, and my wife prefers his version of Wonderwall to Oasis for some reason. He was also married to Mandy Moore who I think is a superfox. And he is a gear head. Came out with that VCR pedal, like a chorus, reverb and something else rolled up in one.
    He is extremely talented.

chadmo1 and bobmc like this.
  6. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

He's like any other artist with a mid-level following that many people like and many haven't heard of. Always gets lots of praise around here for his musical output, but there is usually some debate about his persona. Love this tune:

UncleFestis, Kentano2000 and bobmc like this.
  7. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Member

Ryan is a real genius, hardly a bad track on any of his albums. He has had a lot of health issues over recent years that has prevented him touring much etc hence the lower profile. I first heard him supporting Robert Plant at a charity gig back in 2005 or 06/ Beacon Theatre.

bobmc likes this.
  8. Matteo11

Matteo11 Supporting Member

He’s great. Seen him live at The Ryman a few years ago and he and his band sounded flat out amazing....dare to say even better live than on record.

Love this song here.... (his guitar tone on this album too is to die for imo)

9. disconnector

disconnector Member

Great videos guys - I love the tones and the attitude. I'd love to become a fan.

But I'm poking around on Amazon Music and all of his stuff here sounds like pre-electric Bob Dylan on Qaaludes. Is there a particular album that channels more rock or at least roll? Something that leans more electric and less acoustic?

10. MagicNelson

MagicNelson Supporting Member

His stage banter is A+

wetordry and 27sauce like this.
  11. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

He seems to have a solid career making the music he wants without compromise. I would love to have that. I don't know that being "huge" or more fame would suit him well. Bigger is not always better.

12. PdL

PdL Silver Supporting Member

Ryan has put out quite a few albums since his days in Whiskeytown. His first two solo albums were well received by music critics & mainstream (?) audiences. But after his second solo album RA kinda’ disappeared from the mainstream music scene for a while. Ryan continued to crank out albums during that period - just that they weren’t received by the mainstream w/ the same enthusiasm as his earlier efforts. For the past five or so years though, Ryan’s seen a bit of a return to the popularity/success he enjoyed during the early years in his solo career, with the mainstream being more receptive to his releases. I’m not a huge RA fan but do have a lot of respect for him, in terms of being an extremely talented musician and songwriter, as well as a being a prolific songwriter.

Drowned Rabbit and 27sauce like this.
  13. jiml

jiml Member

I can't get "Gold" out of my disc player in my car, every song on that disc is a winner...

14. 27sauce

27sauce Member

I was a fan of whiskeytown and the first couple of solo albums.

I remember all of the sudden he was opening for the Stones and after 9/11, his New York, New York song being everywhere.

I distinctly recall waking up to the video on vh1 every morning at that time.

15. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I'd go with Rock and Roll or the III/IV album he did with the Cardinals.

disconnector likes this.
  16. bobmc

bobmc Supporting Member

Check out some of the live shows with the Cardinals. I love the guy's music.

This clip is a personal fave (warts and all)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    buddatron, utterhack, Pickaxe and 4 others like this.
  17. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Pushing 50 with a high school sense of person. Comic books, pinball, super heros, weed, denim jacket with Batman patches...
    Adolescent crybaby love songs...

Love the Rock &Roll record...

18. jblake

jblake Member

Ryan Adams, to me, is a lot like Prince in that he has released a ton of music in different configurations that is stylistically all over the map but has a thread of signature sound that runs through it.

Some of it is mainstream and some is under the radar. All of it is quality music.

19. EricStratton

EricStratton Member

It all went south after Heartbreaker. I was a huge Whiskeytown fan. He went off of the rails with "Gold".

earthmud likes this.
  20. Steve73

Steve73 Member

Long time fan here. I like his more rock-ier stuff like Rock n' Roll and his Cardinals stuff as well as his last two studio CD's more than the 'guy with acoustic and harmonica' thing.

ford and Michigan guitar like this.