Ryzen 5 1600X Video Editing/Audio Production build

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by teleguy234234, Jan 8, 2018.

1. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

Long story short- 12 MacBook Pro Retina i7 user here who’s MacBook is crapping out. Decided to take the plunge as I’ve been wanting to switch to pc for editing/production for a while now as the price/performance with Apple is just too large to ignore and I use Premiere Pro and the MacBook I have really isn’t cutting the mustard despite the fact that the graphics card/battery are both crapping out.

This is not a windows/mac debate take that elsewhere.

I have the following parts ready to order and will likely pull the trigger.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/itwinky/saved/vP3M8d

I think it should amount to a pretty darn good studio pc/video editing rig (mainly). I use a simple Focusrite Scarlett interface or my Line 6 Helix so thunderbolt doesn’t matter for me. Studio One is the daw. Any thoughts are welcome. I also will be sticking with my external 1tb usb3 7200 rpm drive but that will be a later upgrade this year.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Ryzen is kind of new and not a lot of reporting from Adobe CC or Adobe support. Did you call them to see if that was a CPU and Sys Board option they recommend for all future updates? If so Cool.

For todays systems you should have 32GB ram. 16 will get noticeably slower once you start working between AE and PP and PS. I keep all 3 open most times. It really gets laggy when you have multiple video tracks of footage in HD, especially 2700p and up.

We build our ACC video editing systems around i7's. I'd also recommend a larger SSD, and go with the EVO series M2's. I'd go 512G min for programs and operating system. I'd add a second 256G Evo as a drive you can assign to cache. That really does great for PP and AE. Slices renders in half the time.

Bump that PSU to 700W.

Video card is nice but if you are not gaming you can save some money there.

3. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

From what I’ve read a lot of guys have recommended Ryzen - Max Yuirev and many others have reported and show good builds that did as much as I’d need.
    I specced out a six core i5 8600k build for similar. I’m keeping costs low for now and may upgrade to 32gb later but for now I only edit 1080p (don’t own a 4k camera) so if I move to 4k I’ll probably bump that up. I rarely use after effects but photoshop honestly works just fine on my 12 MBPR with an i7 and just 8 gigs of ram. I figure it will work even better with 16 gigs.

Storage I’m going cheap on again the idea of upgrading it later on in the year. But I figure a m2 SSD for the os at least is a must thus my choice. After the Retina fast OS drive there is no way I’d ever go back to a hdd for the system drive. I’ll upgrsde my project SSD in a few months but my g-drive usb3 7200rpm guy works fine for the moment.

4. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Cache drive is just for that. You can get as low as 128GB, but for $20 more just go 256G M2. Look at the specs on some of the SSD's. If it were me, the Crucial would get the Cache drive, and the EVO my OS and Programs. Your speed and workflow would improve dramatically assigning the second ssd to cache... not program media file storage.

Make sure your board provides expansion to 32GB if doing 4K eventually. If you have not dabbled in AE... you will...sooner than you think. I thought I'd never use it... dead wrong once I realized the limits of PP in editing options outside of the FX bins. Probably the most powerful and creative options for video imo. PP has some cool things, but if you really want to clean up video, do special fx, lots of keyframing, then AE is the go to. I run them simultaneously with no issues, no crashes, no hiccups... LOVE It ! I've been on the Adobe Suites since CS3. It's been a nice leap forward in what can be achieved at 64bit and current hardware specs.

5. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

@mattball826 So SSD for os like I have, m2 for scratch disk and usb tb for long term storage?

6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Yes, OS on bigger SSD. Adobe CC programs/projects will load quickly. That you will love!

For the other drive, under Preferences bar, it's called Media Cache database. It's easy to manage the processes with this drive being faster than standard HDD. Many use a 128G SSD here, but you can get a 256G for a few bucks more so why not. Just means you won't have to clean the drive as often... which is also easier if those files are cached. What gets stored there are the files you edit basically...so all AE, Au, PP files of renders etc will be stored there.

I do band vidz, full sets often, wedding videos... hrs of footage and long renders. So what used to kill me were conforming times when I load a project, or any renders/prerenders in PP and even slower for AE renders. I used to just walk off and do something else during those processes. With SSD's I can conform hr duration clips in minutes. Fixing audio in Audition is super quick too. All of those actions are done in Cache. If the Media cache is assigned to say your C drive.... diiittiii-doooo you'll be twiddling your thumbs, plus it will eat more ram. Cache being on a seperate drive speeds things up, and really speeds the process tenfold if it is an SSD type.

7. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

Thanks bro. Unfortunately I’ve decided to settle a few other financial situations (cough student loan cough) before I go all in on a great desktop. Should suite me well to wait anyways because as of last night the 1060 GTX 6GB cards as well as most others are sold out thanks to the miners!!

8. tribedescribe

tribedescribe Member

Why not go for a ryzen 1700? If you minus the cost of the included cooler its almost the same price as the 1600x. It can easily OC to 3.7ghz on stock voltages and is the best bang for your buck chip in the ryzen line up. You may also want to consider the cheaper ab350 unless you need the multi gpu support. For ram you can always start out with 16gb and add 16gb more when budget allows. Those miners are relentless.

teleguy234234 likes this.
  9. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Few things from my point of view:

Intel i7 at least 8 cores. I still don't trust AMD.
    Graphics Card - 16gb or 24gb memory minimum.
    32 GB Ram minimum.
    1tb SSD minimum. Primary.
    1tb SSD minimum. Secondary.
    A larger more robust Power Supply.

4k rendering is intensive all consuming rendering.
    Faster, bigger, is always better.

10. teleguy234234

teleguy234234 Member

Certainly not opposed to it. Honestly as a tech guy but first time pc builder (I’ve researched builds for years though) just figuring out which cooler supports the am4 socket is mind boggling as the reviews go back and forth. To be frank gonna spend the next two months paying off a loan from college then I’ll be set to save and build my perfect computer!

11. tribedescribe

tribedescribe Member

The cooler thing can get quite complicated. Over the summer I built a ryzen 1700 and sold the stock cooler for a Noctua nh-l9 and sent away for a free adapter from Noctua. Any of the nh-l9 a or I models will work with the am4 adapter since they have the same base. Although I think they now have a retail ready model called the nh-l9a am4. I highly recommend noctua coolers, they are quiet and do a great job. Noctua has a great site for checking for compatible models. Looks like the 1600x would need a nh-l9x65 model.

https://noctua.at/en/cpu/AMD_Ryzen_5_1600X

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  12. MiguelDamas

MiguelDamas Member

The GPU alone would cost more than all the parts the OP has in his list. Bigger is better when you have the cash to burn and the actual need for a high end rig.

13. mattball826

mattball826 Member

You can always change things later if your board supports it. Don't buy a board that won't give you an option to enhance your system going forward.