S FL guitar repairs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by paris is burnin, Jul 27, 2008.

1. paris is burnin

paris is burnin Member

Who do you guys use down here....:) The guy who I used to use moved and now I'm wondering who's good down here(Palm Beach,Ft Lauderdale) area.I also talking about a tune up not a major repairs..Thanks

2. paris is burnin

paris is burnin Member

Nobody in S FL.... can help:cool:

3. DrRichie

DrRichie Member

There is a teriffic guitar repair guy in Sarasota. Check out siestakeyguitars.com

RGS

4. Variable1

Variable1 Member

Try Gary at the Guitar Exchange in Coral Springs.

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Bari,Tom,and Bill,at the Amp Shop and Music Parlor are fine techs/engineers.We are talking Palm Beach,near Lake Worth.A large number of pros are cared for there on a regular basis.Russell Hibbard takes his entire vintage backline there from the Bamboo Room.

6. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

I've been in there! Stopped at a little sub shop and noticed it in the same strip. They had some cool stuff and seemed like nice folks. You could check with TGP member Galo .. he is a pro player and lives in the Delray area

7. paris is burnin

paris is burnin Member

8. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Ralph at MAE is the man! Really nice guy, good rates, and does awesome work.

I would warn against Gary at the Guitar Exchange as I've always found him to be a very difficult guy to deal with. Sort of pushy and condescending, however his work is fine.

-Dave B

9. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

Another +1 for Bari & crew !!!

Tom just did a great job on my Gretsch :AOK

Very nice folks...very competent...and it's a cool place to hang out on a rainy day ! :D

Oh, it's on Congress just south of Summit Blvd on the east side of the road. Look for the signs 'cause it's easy to miss.

10. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Slight thread hijack

There is an awesome independent music store up there called Backbone Music that has an awesome vinyl collection, and I highly recommend it to any of my fellow music nerds sharing this humidity.

-Dave B

11. flyingvees

flyingvees Member

+1000000000000 !!!

Bari and crew have always done impeccable work and have a great reputation for getting it done fast and right...

Oh yeah and go around the corner for a sub from Vinces deli....There great too...

You could also look up Kevin Kaufmann at Kaufmann Daenzer instruments...Kevin is one of the most respected luthiers in the galaxy but can take a long time to get you done....

12. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

i speak with Galo regularly.He is a diy type of cat,for the most part.He has his own studio which requires a different set of skills.

13. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

paris is burnin, I took my Boogie there (The Amp Shop & Music Parlor 561 471-9441) for servicing and they did a fine job but have no experience having them work on a guitar. I sent my Charvel down to Larry Lashbrook in Ft Lauderdale http://www.lashbrookguitars.com/ to swap out my old Floyd "screw" posts for "studs" and a new Floyd and new pots/cap and pickup wiring. Larry's done work for Yngwie and seems pretty knowledgeable, I'll see for sure when I get my guitar back. I do know he's in the midst of ramping up his new production facility for his own line of guitars and has put side work on the back burner for the moment but definitely someone to speak with in our area.

Let us know when you find someone good.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  14. PUCKBOY99

PUCKBOY99 Silver Supporting Member

I used to bring everything to Kevin, but these days, he's never there. Last I heard, he was on tour with Mike Stern as his sound guy/tech.

SO...if you're in a hurry........................:jo

Kevin is another one of those cool guys & his shop has that "come on in & hang out" vibe.

For those that don't know, he was Jaco Pastorius' tech and many others. Impeccable work !!!

I've also heard good things about Larry Lashbrook, but never dealt with him.

And another -1 to Guitar Exchange...went there once & didn't care for that guy or his shop...AT ALL !

MAE seems to be in constant flux, so....I'm sure there guy does excellent work.

My money stays local & The Amp Shop works for me.

:BEER

15. Variable1

Variable1 Member

LOL! You are right. He has always treated me right, but I know EXACTLY what you mean about his attitude. :)

He has done a couple of setups for me though, and his work has indeed been fine.

16. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I don't do that attitude crap and if you don't like it then too bad.

;)

17. Boomer

Boomer Member

I wouldn't ever let Ralph touch a guitar of mine again. He is a nice guy though.

I was about to take delivery of a new PRS Archtop a few years ago. It had .11's on it and I wanted to try it with .10's before I committed to it. They had me take it back to Ralpd for the change and setup and I was stuned when he placed in on filthy, covered with bits of plastic and string pieces, work bench. He changed strings and did a quick setup but the back of the guitar was scratched up. I never even played the guitar. I handed it back to Tommy (RIP) and left the store. I will never let Ralph touch an instrument of mine. I did get a guitar from Tommy's personal collection but never one that Ralph has touched.

Just an FYI/heads up!

18. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

That is a bummer. It has been a while since I've had him done something for me, so maybe he has lost that touch...:(

-Dave B

19. FloridaSam

FloridaSam Member

Yes. Bari et al are the best in town period. They have helped me with every repair I've needed, kept to deadlines, kept under budget, basically good people that do what they say, no ********.

As for the reccomendation of Gary at Guitar Exchange..... NO! I found him to be the opposite of everything I said about Bari and crew.

He talks down to you. He tried to tell me why his Tacomas where better than my $5,000.00 Froggy Bottom. He told me I should have bought a real guitar. I will not shop in places that insult the customer. All I did was bring it in for a saddle adjustment and got berated for not buying one of his pieces of crap. His repairs are overpriced.

I get warm and fuzzy feelings going to Bari's shop. I got the creeps and annoyed going to the Guitar Exchange.

20. LocustXReign

LocustXReign Member

Case and point.