S.G. Lovers

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Redbell, May 18, 2006.

1. Redbell

Redbell Member

:Devil I've been thinking about S.G.'s alot lately, post yours (Gibby or not.)
    BTW That devil-head-thingy looks a little like an S.G., doesn't it?

2. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

'78 Gibson SG Standard, Epiphone Elitist '61 reissue, Epiphone Vintage G-400:

[​IMG]

...and I have an Epiphone G-400 with Maestro vibrato on order:

[​IMG]

3. bryan83

bryan83 Member

04' Gibson SG Standard w/ WCR Fillmores set up for slide.

[​IMG]

4. Aahzz

Aahzz Member

I just bought an SG Faded on Saturday - no pics yet, but DANG I love this axe! It may displace my Les Paul as my main axe...of course, I'm still in the honeymoon period...

5. 908SSP

908SSP Member

The real thing. All Original.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

1961 LesPaul converted to stoptail and the pickups are patentsticker. Otherwise orginal and FANTASTIC sounding:
    [​IMG]

7. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

a fairly recent addition to the family that i've become more than attached too :dude

[​IMG]

8. 55goldtop

55goldtop Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

The old ones have more horsepower!

[​IMG]

9. Ponec

Ponec Member

Here you go...

[​IMG]

If you like you can check out some close-ups at my website: http://www.theguitarcave.com Just click on the "My Gear" link.

-Ron

10. Redbell

Redbell Member

Some real beauties here, Keep them coming.
    Ponec - I visit your site small world, had no idea you were here as well.

11. Ponec

Ponec Member

It's a sickness. :) I actually frequent a few different guitar boards. A couple good, a couple not so much. This is one of the better ones.

I hope that you like what you are seeing on my site as well.

-Ron

P.S. Okay, now that I've posted again I probably should make with more pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From top: Supreme w/'57 Classics, Supreme w/P90s, '61 Reissue, Classic, and Special Faded "Brown"

12. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Does this "sorta" count? Same color and about the same body thickness-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Bad pic, I know. I need to take better ones.
    [​IMG]

14. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I remember these! Nice guitar! I've only tried an SG once and didn't have it a month before the neck went bad. Gibson had it longer than I did. Finally the dealer was given a credit and I bought something else.

If you don't mind my asking, what do they go for today?

Thanks,

Greg

15. Reeek

Reeek Member

Do any of you have the "muddy" issue with your SG's? Just wondering because I hear that now and then.

16. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

i found that one at a guitar show for $450, which i think was a great deal. it obviously doesn't have the original pickups, but the fact that they're humbucker sized P90's just made me want it more actually and its been played but not abused, mainly just some pickwear on the front and a bit of beltbuckle rash on the back. firebrands are rare, but not particularly valueable. if you can find one, i'd definetly recommend giving it a try.

17. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

My only SG is an Epi Elitist.

http://picturefrompete.home.comcast.net/EpiSG.jpg

It's a decent guitar for it's price. Good craftsmanshitp. I didn't like either of the humbuckers, which they claimed were Gibson USA (or something to that effect).

I put a DiMarzio Bluesbucker with a nickel cover in the neck position, and I still need to replace the bridge pickup. But I kind of want to install a better bridge, maybe by Gotoh or TonePros, so until I decide what to do with that, the bridge PU can wait.

I haven't quite decided whether I'd hang onto this one or not though.

Pete

18. Just1more

Just1more Member

19. Spudboy

Spudboy Member

Well, my 1978 Gibson SG came with what I feel are pretty mediocre pickups; these are the ones that are encapsulated in some kind of black plastic or epoxy, so taking off the covers is impossible. I replaced 'em with the standard Seymour Duncan set-up, that is, a Jeff Beck in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck. I also added single coil and phase switches (the previous owner had already drilled a hole in the guitar for an on/off switch, go figure). Anyway, I really like the Jeff Beck sound and I can also get nice clear single coil tones aand cool funky out-of phase tones, so overall it's one very flexible guitar.

As to the pickups in the Elitist SG, word is that they are identical to the Gibson 490R/498T combo, and while some do not like these pickups I have to say that the ones in my Elitist are just incredible, very creamy and toneful in sound; doubt I'll ever change them.

The pickups in the regular Epi SGs (G-400 to be technical) vary from mediocre in the neck position (Classic '57 clone) to unusable in the bridge (Hot '57 clone). I've owned four different G-400s over the years, with #5 on the way, and I've found that removing the covers seems to ameliorate the situation somewhat, especially wrt the neck pickup but the bridge pickup really is complete crap IMO, beyond salvation. Fortunately this problem is easily rectified... (evil laugh).

20. Motorhed

Motorhed Member

[​IMG]

i GASed over one of these when the sam ash here was still mars, i played it everytime i went in until one day it was gone. :(