S-Gear interfaces for Mac?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by digiTED, Jan 29, 2012.

1. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

I have an old Lexicon Alpha USB interface that's OK, but I'd like to jump to a firewire interface to get more out of my new computer: MBP 2.2 i7, 8GB.

Thoughts on FW800 native versus using an adapter to pair a FW400 device to my laptop?

Thanks!

2. fatherjacques

fatherjacques Member

I have very good latency with my Focusrite Scarlett and my I MAC.

3. seranance

seranance Member

Stick with USB and get an RME Babyface. It eats all but the top end firewire interfaces for lunch. Superb conversion, two grade A mic pres, a specific guitar input, tiny latencies, and USB audio done flawlessly. Oh, and a cute wheel on top to control things with, and a truly fantastic software mix console for absolutely everything, if you need it. Plus some of the best s/w drivers anywhere.

It's just da bomb all 'round and Scuffham deserves it. :)

4. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

Thx for the suggestions, guys. The baby face does indeed sound great, but it's outta my price range (at least new). I'm just a home hobbyist and am learning Garageband.

Thoughts on various models of Scarlett and latency?

5. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

I'll buck the trend and throw in the Centrance Axeport. Use that for the guitar and then use a different interface for all of your other needs. The Axeport is ridiculous and even the headphone output sounds great.

6. richpjr

richpjr Member

If you don't need MIDI and can live with 2 ins/outs, the Scarlett 2i2 will get you the same sound as the 8i6 or 18i6 for a very reasonable price. I'm looking at the Scarletts myself and from what I have read browsing around various forums, with the new drivers, the latency is good.

7. groovybenny

groovybenny Member

Apogee one :)

Edit: not firewire...

8. digiTED

digiTED rock > talk

I can certainly live without MIDI and with only 2 I/O. This is for home f-in around with Garageband. I was using my Lexicon Alpha that I've had for years tonight and was getting 8.5 ms at 48000/96. Not bad, but I could just barely feel the latency. Would the Scarlett get lower?

9. MaxTwang

MaxTwang Member

I ran across something yesterday about a FW800 bug in OSX Lion (I was researching another Lion bug and don't recall what the FW800 issue was and what devices were affected). I'd do some research to make sure there's no issues with a specific FW800 device and Lion before buying. Apple is pushing their new Thunderbolt interface now.

The MOTU Ultralite has FW400 and USB. I use a FW800 to FW400 (6 pin) cable w/ the Ultralite.