S/H wiring questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by merkaba22, Mar 30, 2008.

1. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

I've ordered all the parts as laid out by Sundaypunch to re-do my Strat with a JB Jr in the bridge position as given the template in a SSH thread (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=293930).

I would like to know if there is an equally cool wiring layout for a SH with one T and one V and a 5-way switch; and separately for one with a 3 position toggle?

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

3. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

SH = S/H = single coil and humbucking; just as SSH = S/S/H = single coil, single coil, humbucking PUP arrangements.

4. fumbler

fumbler Member

Can the 'bucker be split or tapped?

If it could be split I'd wire it as a standard SSS strat with the bucker playing the part of the bridge *and* middle pups! It's just so crazy it might work! The tone of the two coils near the bridge should be different enough to make it worth doing.

Or maybe I'm nuts.

5. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

It could be -- but I am not usually into split HB's -- great idea though:)

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Coil taps via a cap can sound a lot more like a 'real 'single coil and remain to a large extent humbucking .Experiment with values around .1mfd.

7. merkaba22

merkaba22 Member

That's cool -- I have used coil taps but its not what I am looking for, thanks -- if anything, I am looking for a diagram for wiring a single coil and humbucker with a 5 way selector switch that use the extra positions on the 5 way to have tone control defeats.